Ben, Jerry,

In general, I ditto Ben's interleaved remarks from his post. In particular,
I will note a couple of differences:

Jerry wrote:

Consider the sentence:
> Harry fought Peter and contrast it with it's "twin", Peter fought Harry.
> Does it have the same logical meaning as the first sentence?

Ben replied:

BU: It has a different meaning. I'm not sure what you mean by "logical
> meaning." The word "fought" has the same meaning in both sentences. Taken _
> *separately*_, each sentences has the logical form 'c fought d.' Maybe
> that is what you mean by "same logical meaning." But if they're taken
> together, (for example as in "Harry fought Peter or Peter fought Harry")
> then one letter needs to be assigned to Peter in both sentences and the
> other letter needs to be assigned to Harry in both sentences.

I would consider "_ fought _" to be commutative, and there is no change in
logical meaning, so long as the subjects are the same; in this case, Peter
and Harry. With respect to "Cain kills Abel", this would not be
commutative. It depends upon the predicate. It should be kept in mind
though that logical meaning with ideas like commutative and associative and
such typically refer to syncategorematic terms like logical addition,
logical multiplication, etc. as we see Peirce describe in his improvement
on Boole's Calculus of Logic, or in logical operators like conjunction and
disjunction in modern symbolic logic.

Another exchange:

[JC] More broadly, one can ask the question, what is the role of the
> concept of ORDER in grammar in contrast with its roles in logics and
> mathematics.
> BU: I don't know.

I would say, one can ask the question, but in order to answer it, one would
have to define one's concept of order. If by order in grammar, you mean
syntax, that is pretty clear. And if you said the same for logic, that is
pretty clear. And likewise for mathematics. If we're talking about syntax.
But in mathematics, at least, order could probably be considered as
something other than syntax; there's a lot going on in mathematics. In
logic, at least, I know Josiah Royce defined logic as the science of order,
and I'm sure one could say a lot about that. Anyhoo, what's the point of
all this, Jerry? It's a vague statement you are making.

Jerry wrote:

Also, compare this usage with CSP's description of the mapping of an icon
> to a rhema in which it compares the generative relation of this map to
> chemical radicals!

Where is this description in CSP's texts?

Jerry wrote:

In my view, a clear and distinct meaning for the relationships among
> relatives necessarily requires a clear and distinct cognitive stance with
> respect to the identity of the term. [ergo, a "family tree" of meanings of
> terms]
> In this regard, contrast with 3.420-421 wrt relative rhema. (see The
> Existential Graphs of CSP, D. Roberts, p.21-25 for discussions).

I'm not sure what you mean by "the identity of the term", nor do I follow
your "ergo." I read 3.420-421, but I don't understand what I'm supposed to
contrast it with. I don't happen to have a copy of Roberts's book, so
you'll have to help me out here.

I can summarize this line of thought by a general proposition for the logic
> of terms as units of meaning as in the "Quali-sign-Sin-sign-legi-sign,
> icon-index-symbol, rheme, dicisign, argument" format for logic by CSP, but
> now expressed in mereological terms of parts of the whole:
> "The union of the units unifies the unity."   [ergo, a fight, ergo,
> beta-graphs.]
> In a metaphysical LOGIC:
> "The union of the units unifies the unity of the universe."  [ergo,
> existence]

Jerry, I'm afraid this is all quite over my head. I almost feel as though
I'm reading something straight out of Hegel at his most abstruse, and that
is saying a lot.

Now, setting aside the general confusion I feel from having read your post,
it seems to me that you are all along trying to get at the issue of the
meaning of terms. I don't understand at all why you felt the need to go to
grammar, especially since you don't appear to mean speculative grammar. Or
at least, when you reference grammatical nouns, it seems clear. I am
somewhat wondering whether you waffle back and forth between the grammar of
a natural language and speculative grammar. The discussion of logical
quantities, in particular with respect to the meaning of terms, is, I
think, a way of getting at the logic of terms. I'm not sure, but my guess
is that you want to contrast the idea of a term as a unit of measure (or
meaning?) with the idea that terms have logical quantity, or what? Some
clarification would be helpful.

Btw, at least according to Whately in his Elements of Logic, the
Introduction (edition I am reading is from 1853, available through Google
books), it was Antisthenes who introduced simple terms, along with
propositions and arguments, and the Stoics picked up the distinction from
him between simple terms, propositions, and arguments. I would not be
surprised to learn that the word "term" itself was not used until Peter of
Spain, but the idea or concept of "term" was around longer than that.

--Franklin