From: Benjamin Udell [mailto:bud...@nyc.rr.com]
Sent: 8-Nov-15 14:14
To: peirce-l@list.iupui.edu
Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Vol. 2 of Collected Papers, on Induction

Gary F., Franklin,

Gary, you wrote,

I’m not sure what Peirce meant by saying in 1893 that every proposition and
every argument can be regarded as a term, or what advantage a logician would
gain by regarding them that way.
[End quote]

In "Kaina Stoicheia" III. 4. (EP 2:308), 1904,
http://www.iupui.edu/~arisbe/menu/library/bycsp/stoicheia/stoicheia.htm
Peirce says:

[....] If we erase from an argument every monstration of its special purpose,
it becomes a proposition; usually a copulate proposition, composed of several
members whose mode of conjunction is of the kind expressed by "and," which the
grammarians call a "copulative conjunction." If from a propositional symbol we
erase one or more of the parts which separately denote its objects, the
remainder is what is called a rhema; but I shall take the liberty of calling it
a term. Thus, from the proposition "Every man is mortal," we erase "Every man,"
which is shown to be denotative of an object by the circumstance that if it be
replaced by an indexical symbol, such as "That" or "Socrates," the symbol is
reconverted into a proposition, we get the rhema or term "_____ is mortal."
[....]
[End quote]

Somewhere Peirce also notes that a proposition is a medadic term.

Best, Ben