Jeff, list,

Thank you for taking the time to look at the two diagrams that were
> attached to the email.   The diagrams are, of course, quite incomplete.
> There are a large number of divisions that need to be considered, and the
> labels on the diagrams I've offered only contain underdeveloped suggestions
> about how we might understand a relatively small number of the different
> classes of signs/.

Oh, certainly. The task is really monumental, and you have my sympathy and
support with trying to get it all worked out.

My purpose in offering those diagrams (which are just working notes) was to
> ask how the relations between sign-object-interpretant at one level of
> cognition are related to those at another higher level of cognition.  As
> such, I asked how the relations between the percept, qualisign and
> immediate interpretant on the left part of the diagram fit with the
> relations between the sinsign, dynamical object and dynamical interpretant
> in the middle, and I then ask the same kind of question about the relations
> between legisign, dynamical object and final interpretant on the right.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by 'higher' level of cognition. Do you
mean a cognition, more fully developed? Or do you mean two cognitions
occurring at the same time, in which the lower one somehow is serving or
participating in the higher one? I wonder about that because of the way you
split things up. I am somewhat curious about it and why you did it the way
you did. But then I see you go on to remark about that.

In doing so, was trying to ask the following question:  When an
> interpretant at a lower level is made the sign for the next higher level,
> is it only the interpretant that is functioning as the sign, or is it the
> whole complex of sign-object-interpretant that is serving the function of
> the sign?  One reason I have for thinking that it can be the latter is that
> the interpretant itself involves the triadic relation between its object
> and the sign it is interpreting.  As such, if only the interpretant is
> serving as the sign at the next higher level, then we are leaving out of
> the picture an essential part of what makes the interpretant the kind of
> thing it is.

This is tricky. We know that the (original) sign is supposed to determine
the interpreter to be determined in such a way as to be in relation to the
object in the way in which the sign is itself determined by the object. So
there is a question there: If the interpreter becomes so determined, is
there any necessity for the original sign now? Since the interpreter (new
sign) is determined to the object in the same way the original sign was,
perhaps this is enough, and the interpreter doesn't need the original sign.
To take an example for explaining this, we could consider how often we hear
arguments in favor of a certain conclusion, the conclusion becomes adopted,
we now act upon that conclusion as a proposition believed, but then we
forget about the arguments that originally brought us to this believed
proposition. Also consider the case of perceptual judgment. Typically, we
just won't remember all the various percepts that determined the judgment
in us; we just remember the judgment. It simplifies things, and it's
supposed to, because such simplification facilitates the work of thought,
and consequently action.

Now, I take it you are suggesting that from the standpoint of conscious
awareness, this might all be true; but really, the original signs never go
away. That might be a tough argument to make. Could you come up with some
examples that make this case seem likely? I could see one making an
argument from continuity, perhaps. Perhaps. It's not clear to me.

Going back to the point about the "interpretant at a lower level is made
the sign for the next higher level," I'm still not sure what this amounts
to. I would think this means the fuller development of a cognition. But,
when I observe your diagrams, and your remarks above regarding the
diagrams, I feel as though something else is going on. I don't understand
why you think there are these three triads, in which one is contained in
the other, and the other in the last, or what this has to do with the
interpretant still having the original sign as part of the interpretant's
functioning as its own sign. If I were to hazard a guess, the immediate
interpretant becomes a sign with a dynamic interpretant, and then then the
dynamic interpretant becomes a sign with a final interpretant. But because,
as you suggest, the interpretant must involve the whole previous
sign-object-interpretant relation, it's not simply the immediate
interpretant, but the whole thing, that becomes the sign with a dynamic
interpretant, and then not just the dynamic interpretant, but the whole
relation yet again, which becomes the sign with a final interpretant. So
far as I can tell, this is what you are up to, from the diagram and what
you just remarked about it.

Well, what I have to say to this idea, supposing I've got it right, is that
I'm not really sure what to say. My first inclination was that this is
simply wrong. But then I pondered it, and realized what you are getting at.
At least, I understand the picture and how it makes sense of some things
about the development of cognition. But at the moment, I'm thinking that
since the ten-trichotomy system has the presentative aspect of the sign as
one of the trichotomies, and the immediate, dynamic, and final
interpretants all have their own trichotomies, and yet all these
trichotomies go into any given sign classification for the sixty-six
classes, it is likely not the case that the interpretive process is nested
in the way you have been suggesting with your diagram. Otherwise, why
wouldn't we consider the presentative aspect of the sign as simply being
all three possibilities. It seems your diagram even suggests that all three
presentative aspects must be present, one in each of the three triads given
in the diagram. But in the sixty-six classes, I don't think it works this
way; each presentative aspect still gets matched up with all nine of the
other trichotomies, not just two each. Moreover, the presentative aspect
plays a big role in determining which category applies in all the other
trichotomies. If the presentative aspect is in the category of Firstness,
then every other trichotomy must follow suit. Consequently, a qualisign and
rheme is the only possibility; no sinsign, no legisign, no dicent, no
argument. I don't see how you can account for this in the diagram you have
produced. If you could explain how your approach could deal with these
considerations, that would certainly make a much stronger case for it.

With respect to what you have to say about the percipuum:

He tells us, in a footnote, that he formed each of these terms on the model
> of how Praecipuum was formed from Praecipio.

I see you rounded up some definitions after that. However, I think that the
formation of the terms is straightforwardly about the way the letters get
arranged, rather than any sort of analogy from how praecipuum relates to
praecipio to how percipuum relates to percipio. Maybe you didn't mean to
suggest he meant an analogy, but that's the idea I got from the listing of
the definitions. I just want to say I think it's not about an analogy, just
linguistic morphism. (Unless the footnote explicitly says it's about an
analogy?)

Of course, that still leaves us with the problem of the percipuum, and the
definitions with respect to perception are still very much relevant for
that cause. However, I'm not sure how helpful they will be. Setting them
aside, I find myself liking your suggestion, viz. your hunch that the
percipuum is a continuous process of interpretation and the percept and
perceptual judgment are parts of that process. At the same time, I think
you're right that we need to consider the relations between antecipuum,
ponecipuum, and percipuum. Unfortunately, I'm not well aware of the former
two ideas (not having read "On Telepathy" yet, just the excerpts from the
commens), so I'm not sure what those relations are. Perhaps it would be
helpful if you discussed them, and maybe I could offer some help
interpreting them. I'm not really into the idea of reading the piece at
this time for myself, but perhaps I'll end up doing that.

Anyway, with respect to your suggestion about what the percipuum is,
although I like it, I remain cautious. I had an experience in a class with
Andre De Tienne on Peirce's semiotics about this very idea. When discussing
ideas for our term papers, I was planning to talk about abduction and
perceptual judgment. I mentioned the percipuum in this context, with
respect to the percept and the perceptual judgment, and he cautioned me
that there is more going on with the percipuum. Because of that experience,
I remain cautious of trying to apply this idea of the continuous process
with percept and perceptual judgment, because it was that very idea he
cautioned me about. This is not really any argument against the idea, but I
have the greatest respect for his judgment when it comes to all things
Peirce. Then again, I could be mis-remembering, though I don't think so.
Perhaps this is all just to say, it would probably be best to bring out the
ideas of antecipuum and ponecipuum, and consider in fuller detail with
respect to them what might be going on with the percipuum.

-- Franklin