Just to add to that discussion of the problem of metaphysical origins of
continuity and quanta (integers). It’s from Jerome Havenel’s “Peirce’s
Clarifications of Continuity.” First a quote from Peirce.

In Spencer’s phrase the undifferentiated differentiates itself. The homogeneous
puts on heterogeneity. However it may be in special cases, then, we must
suppose that as a rule the continuum has been derived from a more general
continuum, a continuum of higher generality . . . If this be correct, we cannot
suppose the process of derivation, a process which extends from before time and
from before logic, we cannot suppose that it began elsewhere than in the utter
vagueness of completely undetermined and dimensionless potential- ity. (RLT, p.
258)

Note how here Peirce is still keeping with the basic ontology of neoplatonic
emanations. This is prior to time and thus not cosmology in a physical sense.
Time itself is regularity and thus has to develop before we can speak of time.

Quoting from Havenel:

Now, how could the universe have arisen from “nothing, pure zero, . . . prior
to every first”? (CP 6.217, 1898). Contrary to Hegel’s logic of events, Peirce
considers that no deduction “necessarily resulted from the Nothing of boundless
freedom” (CP 6.219), but that the “logic may be that of the inductive or
hypothetic inference” (CP 6.218).

But at which stage did the “nothing, pure zero”, becomes a continuum? Whereas
the zero is mere “germinal possibility” (NEM 4.345), the continuum is
“developed possibility” (ibid). According to Floyd Merrell, before any existing
thing could have arisen in the universe, the nothingness has become: “the
continuous flux of Firstness”. Indeed, Peirce states that:

The whole universe of true and real possibilities forms a continuum, upon which
this Universe of Actual Existence is, by virtue of the essential Secondness of
Existence, a discontinuous mark . . . There is room in the world of possibility
for any multitude of such universes of Existence. (NEM 4.345)

Peirce thinks that the “original potentiality is the Aristotelian matter or
indeterminacy from which the universe is formed” (RLT, p. 263), and this
“original potentiality is essentially continuous” (RLT, p. 262). Since the
definitions of otherness and “. . . the principle of excluded middle, or that
of contradiction, ought to be regarded as violated” (NEM 3.747).

Although for Peirce the dimension of a continuum may be of any discrete
multitude, there is an exception for the original continuum, whose number of
dimensions is no longer discrete.

If the multitude of dimensions surpasses all discrete multitudes there cease to
be any distinct dimensions. I have not as yet obtained a logi- cally distinct
conception of such a continuum. Provisionally, I iden- tify it with the uralt
vague generality of the most abstract potentiality. (RLT, p. 253–254)

Havenel then turns to the issues I think John is getting at.

Yet, Douglas R. Anderson has pointed out the following difficulty: how can
evolution be a continuous process if chance and spontaneity are discontinuous
events82? According to Peirce’s Tychism, there can be no rational continuity
between past events and spontaneity. The answer is that discontinuity is not
absolute but is relative. For example, if one draws a new curve on a
blackboard, it is a discontinuity. Nevertheless, “although it is new in its
distinctive character, yet it derives its conti- nuity from the continuity of
the blackboard itself ” (RLT, p. 263).

Moreover, Peirce’s theory of evolution involves the notion of a final
continuum. The universe evolves not only by chance and necessity, but also
towards a final continuum, which is final less as a result than as a principle.
For Peirce, “continuity is Thirdness in its full entelechy” (RLT, p. 190), and
as a final cause, there is an end of History, but as a final result there is
not. Thus, the ultimate good lies in the evolutionary process but not in
individual reactions in their isolation; it lies in the growth of sympathy with
others.

Synechism is founded on the notion that the coalescence, the becom- ing
continuous, the becoming governed by laws, the becoming instinct with general
ideas, are but phases of one and the same process of the growth of
reasonableness. (CP 5.4, 1902)

Havenel sees a period of further development from 1908 to 1913 which he calls
Peirce’s topological period.

Peirce changes his mind about what is a “true” continuum. Although he maintains
the idea of potentiality, the notion of continuity does not mainly rest on the
notion of multi- plicity anymore, but mainly on topological considerations and
on the relations between the parts of a continuum. Such a change explains why I
call this last period “topological”.

Going on about changes, he says,

He left aside his previous distinction between the pseudo- continuum and the
true continuum, for a new distinction between a perfect continuum and an
imperfect continuum, this last being a con- tinuum: “having topical
singularities” (CP 4.642, 1908). According to his concept of continuity, “a
top[olog]ical singularity . . . is a breach of continuity”. But if the
continuum has no topological singularity, then it is a perfect continuum whose
essential character is:

the absolute generality with which two rules hold good, first, that every part
has parts; and second, that every sufficiently small part has the same mode of
immediate connection with others as every other has. This manifestly vague
statement will more clearly convey my idea (though less distinctly) than the
elaborate full explication of it could. (CP 4.642, 1908)

The new aspect in this definition of a perfect continuum is: “that every
sufficiently small part has the same mode of immediate connection with others
as every other has”; but Peirce thinks that the theory of col- lections cannot
correctly analyze this property. Indeed, since at least 1897, the idea that the
mathematical theory of set is not enough to inves- tigate the continuum was
growing in Peirce’s mind: “the development of
projective geometry and of geometrical topics has shown that there are at least
two large mathematical theories of continuity into which the idea of continuous
quantity, in the usual sense of that word, does not enter at all” (CP 3.526).
Moreover, we have seen that since 1900 Peirce has rejected the idea that,
strictly speaking, a collection can be continuous.

The shift to topological considerations I suspect most here are familiar with
although I’ll fully confess I don’t feel I have a sufficient grasp of this part
of Peirce’s thought. Havenel doesn’t discuss discreteness much here although in
his conclusion he touches upon it.

Is everything continuous for Peirce? It is clear that there are
discontinuities, for Peirce states against Hegel that both Firstness and
Secondness are not reducible to Thirdness. But according to Peirce, nothing is
absolutely isolated or separated; hence, there is no absolute discontinuity.
Anderson has pointed out that according to Peirce’s tychism, there can be no
rational continuity between past events and spontaneity. But discontinuity is
relative, not absolute, like a new curve on a blackboard which is a
discontinuity, but which “derives its discontinuity from the continuity of the
blackboard itself” (RLT, p. 263, 1898). Moreover, Peirce’s theory of evolution
proceeds from an original continuum towards a final continuum, which is final
less as a result than as a principle. In other words, there are different kinds
of discontinuities but within different kinds of continua. This can explain
Peirce’s enigmatic claim that: “the doctrine of continuity is that all things
so swim in continua” (CP 1.171, Summer 1893).

If I follow him correctly his argument entails that the appearance of quanta is
never absolute but only at best relative. Perhaps this is what John sees as
unsatisfactory. It does seem from Havenel that up to his death from cancer
Peirce is still struggling to work all of this out. While the continua might
never be satisfactorily concluded I do think it fair to say that any break with
it is only apparent for Peirce. How that relates to Peirce’s chemistry I can’t
say.

Hopefully this at least gives us a ground from which to argue. I confess I just
wasn’t at all clear the grounds you were coming from John, beyond the
appearance of a genealogical argument.