Matt, list,

Matt wrote:

EP2.227: "perceptual judgments contain general elements," whereas percepts
> don't. So, if you have a general type (legisign) in mind then you have a
> perceptual judgment. So, smoke, as understood as being a type, e.g.,
> relating to other instances of smoke, is a perceptual judgment.

Smoke, qua type, is not a perceptual judgment. A perceptual judgment is not
the general element, but includes the general as its predicate. So, as I
said, one must say something like "that there is smoke", introducing the
general element in a proposition (or probably, more accurately, a
dicisign). Smoke, as the predicate in such a proposition or judgment, is a
type. But it is not the perceptual judgment, which connects the predicate,
or type, to the subject, or percept.

Also, note what he says in "The Nature of Meaning", EP2 p.208:
"Consequently, it is now clear that if there be any perceptual judgment, or
proposition directly expressive of and resulting from the quality of a
present percept, or sense-image, that judgment must involve generality in
its predicate." This suggests that the type is a generalization inspired by
the quality of the percept itself, and not simply introduced by the
interpreting mind to make sense of the percept; the percept contributes
something to the judgment that is made of it, besides its singularity as
the subject of the judgment.

Consider in connection with this idea the following excerpt from "The Seven
Systems of Metaphysics", EP2, p.194: "Therefore, if you ask me what part
Qualities can play in the economy of the Universe, I shall reply that the
Universe is a vast representamen, a great symbol of God's purpose, working
out its conclusions in living realities. Now every symbol must have,
organically attached to it, its Indices of Reactions and its Icons of
Qualities; and such part as these reactions and these qualities play in an
argument, that they of course play in the Universe, that Universe being
precisely an argument. In the little bit that you or I can make out of this
huge demonstration, our perceptual judgments are the premisses *for us* and
these perceptual judgments have icons as their predicates, in which *icons*
Qualities are immediately presented."

In a perceptual judgment, it is the quality of the percept which inspires
the predicate of the judgment, and that predicate is the introduction of
the general element in perception.

As Peirce goes to great lengths to argue at the outcome of the series of
lectures culminating in "Pragmatism as the Logic of Abduction": "The
elements of every concept enter into logical thought at the gate of
perception and make their exit at the gate of purposive action; and
whatever cannot show its passports at both those two gates is to be
arrested as unauthorized by reason."

-- Franklin