Matt, Franklin, List,

""Today, it is quite obvious that people living with Stone Age technology
speak languages
as complex and versatile as those spoken in the most highly industrialized
society.
*There are no primitive languages*.  Virtually no linguist today would
disagree with this statement."

If living cells use a language as I believe (so much so that I was
motivated to coin the word, "cellese", to refer to it in 1999; NYAS *870*
:411-417) and since we, including our primitive ancestors, are organized
systems of cells, the language of Homo sapiens must be at least as complex
and versatile as cellese.  As our scientific knowledge increases in
biology, we are finding out that cellese is much more complex and versatile
than once thought.  In fact the more we know about cellese (e.g., signal
transduction) through scientific research, the more unknowns seem to be
revealed.

Sung

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 5:08 AM, Matt Faunce <mattfau...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/13/15 6:24 PM, Franklin Ransom wrote:
>
> Human languages differ with respect to the rules of construction and the
> things that can be said, and they also develop and evolve over time; the
> development of a language to the point where it can articulate scientific
> terminology is not a development shared by every human language.
>
> Can you give your source for this? I remember reading the opposite from
> two different linguists. Michael Shapiro is one. (I'd have to search for
> the exact statements, but the keyword I'd use is 'passkey'.) Edward Vajda
> writes
>
> " Human language is unlimited in its expressive capacity."
>
> "Today, it is quite obvious that people living with Stone Age technology
> speak languages as complex and versatile as those spoken in the most highly
> industrialized society.  *There are no primitive languages*.  Virtually
> no linguist today would disagree with this statement."
>
> --
> Matt

Sungchul Ji, Ph.D.

Associate Professor of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy
Rutgers University
Piscataway, N.J. 08855
732-445-4701