Edwina, Helmut, John, Gary R, List,

You wrote:

"Helmut - I can see the value of using your term of '9 types of
representamen relations'.                         (122015-1)
Certainly, these 9 are NOT signs, . . . "

These '9 types of representmane relations' are the *objects* of the 9 types
of *signs* that Peirce named 'qualisign', 'singsign, 'legisign',
 'dicisign', etc.  For example, icon, index , and symbol are the *signs*
referring to the* relation* between  representamen and its object in the
mode of being of Firstness, Secondness, and Thirdness, respectively.  It
seems to me that you are conflating *representmen *and *object.   *

The 3x3 table of the 9 types of signs  is an *ambiguous* diagram, since it
an be intepreted  in more than one ways with equal validity, like the
figure shown below.  Clearly the figure can be interpreted as depicting  a
*lion*, a *cat*, or *both*, not unlike our 9 types and 10 classes of
signs.  I see both a lion  (*relations, i.e., objects*) and a cat (name of
the relations, i.e., *signs*) in the picture, but, metaphorically speaking,
Edwina seems to see only a lion, and Helmut only a cat.

[image: Inline image 1]

Retrieved from
http://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/humanities/research/philosophyresearch/cspe/illusions/
on 12/20/2015.