Jon S., Jeff et al.,

Jon, thanks for jumping in here while I was occupied elsewhere. I’m essentially
in agreement with what you say, but i’m responding here before reading
subsequent posts in the thread, so for now I’ll just point to some Peirce texts
relevant to these issues.

The 1904 letter to Welby in CP 8.327ff. and SS 23-36 (but not in EP2) is the
most extensive discussion of the NDTR trichotomies that I know of outside the
NDTR itself, and situates them firmly in the phenomenological categories.
Here’s the context of Jeff’s quote:

__________________________________

335. In respect to their relations to their dynamic objects, I divide signs
into Icons, Indices, and Symbols (a division I gave in 1867). I define an Icon
as a sign which is determined by its dynamic object by virtue of its own
internal nature. Such is any qualisign, like a vision, — or the sentiment
excited by a piece of music considered as representing what the composer
intended. Such may be a sinsign, like an individual diagram; say a curve of the
distribution of errors. I define an Index as a sign determined by its dynamic
object by virtue of being in a real relation to it. Such is a Proper Name (a
legisign); such is the occurrence of a symptom of a disease. (The symptom
itself is a legisign, a general type of a definite character. The occurrence in
a particular case is a sinsign.) I define a Symbol as a sign which is
determined by its dynamic object only in the sense that it will be so
interpreted. It thus depends either upon a convention, a habit, or a natural
disposition of its interpretant or of the field of its interpretant (that of
which the interpretant is a determination). Every symbol is necessarily a
legisign; for it is inaccurate to call a replica of a legisign a symbol.

336. In respect to its immediate object a sign may either be a sign of a
quality, of an existent, or of a law.

As for the internal/external distinction, Peirce’s application of it to
“worlds” is pervasive, so naturally he also speaks of external or internal
signs (e.g. EP2:388). But when it comes to what is internal to the sign, the
quotes are a bit harder to find. Here’s one from the 1908 letter to Welby,
which says that “It is usual and proper to distinguish two Objects of a Sign,
the Mediate without, and the Immediate within the Sign” (EP2:480). See also
EP2:485:

354. The inquiry ought, one would expect, to be an easy one, since both
trichotomies depend on there being three Modes of Presence to the mind, which
we may term

The Immediate,—The Direct,—The Familiar

Mode of Presence.

The difference between the two trichotomies is that the one refers to the
Presence to the Mind of the Sign and the other to that of the Immediate Object.
The Sign may have any Modality of Being, i.e., may belong to any one of the
three Universes; its Immediate Object must be in some sense, in which the Sign
need not be, Internal.

OK, now I’ll try to catch up with later posts!

Gary f.