Hi Jon,

That is an excellent point.
Can we then say that

"All actual signs derive from potential signs but not all potential signs
need be actual signs."               (122115-1)

This statement may be related to the the fact that

"There can be no Thirdness without Secondness and Firstness;
                                             (122115-2)
there can be no Secondness without Firstness."

If (122115-2) is true, then why stop at Firstness?  Why can't we continue
and say

"There can be no Firstness without 'Zeroness'."
                                                         (122115-3)

The concept of Zeroness was invoked in 2013 as a logical consequence of the
9 types of signs defined by Peirce as detailed in [biosemiotics:4440]
forwarded to you separately.

All the best.

Sung