are indeed those people who reject this [eg, John Deely I know!] - is because
each of the three can function in a different modal category. I don't see how
defining the semiosic triad as ONE Relation conveys this possibility.

Furthermore, Pierce  himself refers to these relations in their particularity.
For example, 'In respect to their relations to their dynamic objects" 8.335,
Welby Signs and Categories,  where Peirce outlines that such a relation is
defined as 'icon, index, symbol'. Then, he discusses "in regard to its relation
to its signified Interpretant"..and such is defined as 'rheme, dicent,
argument. And, the 'sign in itself' - a qualisign, sinsign, legisign'.

Now, the triad itself, he terms 'triadic relations', as in 'genuine triadic
relations can never be built of dyadic relations'..1.346. The Categories in
Detail. He refers here to 'three lines of identity...and 'triadic relations'
1.347. The Sign [that triad of three relations] is irreducible. It can't be
built, as he says, of dyads. But - there are still three 'tails', three 'lines
of identity', three interactions: that with the dynamic object; that of the
representamen in itself, which means, with its habits; and that with the
'signified interpretant'.

As for your quotation, and he writes similarly, in the Welby section, where "a
sign is something by knowing which we know something more [8.332] and "A sign
therefore is an object which is in relation to its object on the one hand and
to an interpretant on the other, in such a way as to bring the interpretant
into a relation to the object, corresponding to its own relation to the object'
[8.332].

The whole point of this process is to truthfully 'interpret' the object in
itself. That is, not the object-as-it-is-represented (the immediate object) but
the object-in-itself [the dynamic object]. This requires several Interpretants
- including the Final Interpretant which can be understood as the
Object-as-it-is-meant-to-be-understood, i.e., the dynamic object.  That is, the
continuous semiosic process is a process of truth-gathering and
truth-representation. And it can take time - many semiosic Signs - before one
has arrived at that genuine Final Interpretant which corresponds to that
Dynamic Object.

Does this clarify or muddle?

Edwina