Clark,

I agree with your points. - But I did not use the word "necessarily".

As long as one stays within mathematics, what you write:
" While none of
these are in the Peircean arena, I think they fit in rather well.
(Inquiry as a continual generation of higher metalanguage in terms of
semiosis)"
makes sense.

But as soon as chemistry, biology let alone social sciences come into the picture, problems do arise. Also, they are left unrecocnized. In order to understand the general nature of these problems, the Foucaldian concept of the "episteme" is needed. (which is far too complex for me to properly deal with here.

The most common form these problems appear, is in the form of just jumping from "the level of individuals" (be they chemical reactions, organisms or organelles, human or animal individuals) into the level of science (theories, concepts. Then the priciple of continuity gets violated.

Hope this clears my point a little.

Kirsti