Jon S., Gary R., list,

My diagram arises from a particular account by Peirce of deduction. Gary R. may have some other passages from Peirce in mind.

Best, Ben

On 5/1/2016 4:18 PM, Jon Alan Schmidt wrote:

Ben U. and I seem to be on the same page here. He diagrammed deduction thus ...

2. Minor premiss, case.  Sensation, feeling [firstness].
|>    1. Major premiss, rule.  Habit [thirdness].
3. Conclusion, result.  Decision, volition [secondness].
... and I would diagram abduction (per CP 5.189 via CP 2.623) thus ...

3. Explanatory hypothesis A, case.  Possibility [firstness].
|>    2. Reason why C would follow from A, rule.  Necessity [thirdness].
1. Surprising fact C, result.  Actuality [secondness].
Simply reversing the order would also be a diagram of deduction, but with the major and minor premisses switched. As Ben U. pointed out, this has no effect on the logic itself, but perhaps it helps illustrate why abduction is sometimes called retroduction.

www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt <http://www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt> - twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt <http://twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt>