Jeff D., Gary R., list,

I'm inclined to agree with a lot of what you say in 1. and 2. I'm not sure about 3., because I don't know much about today's ideas about 'tacit knowledge' and 'expertise' in some sort of contrast with such ideas in Peirce's time.

As to 2., some of the issues are terminological, and Peirce himself varied in his uses of terms such as "inference," "reasoning," "argument," etc. Paavola's paper http://www.helsinki.fi/science/commens/papers/instinctorinference.pdf has quite a few good quotes from Peirce of which I was unaware.

I've long thought that empirical (idioscopic) studies of people are where a lot of 'nitty-gritty' study of abductive inference would take place. But I would not relegate the study of a 'guessing instinct' _/entirely/_ to empirical studies of people (as Paavola at times seems to suggest, though that appears not to be among his conclusions), while leaving the study of abductive form to philosophical logic. That would be an unfortunate consequence of overplaying a distinction between "abductive instinct" and "abductive inference." Philosophy can talk about what kind of instinct one ought to have in order to abduce with some hope of success. Given that Peirce in various places allows of instinct that is not merely inborn but developed, his sense of 'instinct' shades by degrees into what some nowadays call 'intuition.' Many mathematicians and scientists readily accept the idea of 'developing an intuition.' Fully conscious reasoning (if there is such a thing) is comparatively plodding, and economy of inquiry is always an issue as long as we have limited resources and hard choices to make, and that too is always. If our resources are increased a billionfold, our inquiries may become that much more powerful - only to reach new economic limits. ("If you build it they will come.")

Peirce often discusses _/surprise/_ as the occasion for abductive inference, yet occasionally also characterizes abductive inference as reducing _/complication/_; and he characterizes the abductively plausible as the "natural and facile" - the facile is the easy, the simple, the opposite of the complicated. It's facile and natural in that it fits one's well-prepared instinct, an instinct (or 'intuition', if you like) based on personal or evolutionary experience in some sense, but I don't think that the sense of natural simplicity consists solely in the abduced conclusion's accordance with instinct (as some sort of black box) and none of it in the natural simplification of the phenomena considered, the bringing of a complicated tangle of facts into order. On the other hands, the facile in this sense is not the same thing as the feasible in the study of (multi-)constraint problems, which is mathematical and deductive. I'd point out (as I'm doing all too often lately), that all inference involves some sort of instinct-like targeting of fruitfulness or promisingness of conclusions, whether it be naturalness of abductive inference, verisimilitude (in Peirce's sense) of induction, or the new aspect or the nontriviality of a deductive conclusion, none of which should be relegated entirely to psychology, sociology, etc., even though they all resist useful mathematization.

Best, Ben