Hi, Gary R., list

As far as I know, the main reason for the ordering of the premisses in the traditional categorical syllogistic forms is for consistency in comparisons among the forms: one always puts the major premiss first, the minor premiss second, and the conclusion third, in order that when someone says "EAE-1", one knows that the major premiss and the conclusion are "E" (universal negatives), and the minor premiss is "A" (a universal affirmative), and that it's a first-figure syllogism (major premiss is M-P, minor premiss is S-M). The order of the premisses in the categorical syllogisms doesn't matter _/logically/_. The syllogism implicitly treats the premisses as conjoined, and any conjunctive compound /pq/ is formally equivalent to /qp/. Conjunction is symmetrical, at least in standard logic. Moreover, logically one could put the conclusion first, by saying,
"Socrates is mortal, because all men are mortal and Socrates is a man."

Often enough one starts with a thesis to be proved (e.g., that Socrates is mortal), and one looks for a middle (such as man) in order to link the thesis to a known rule stated as a major premiss. If the Barbara deduction's minor premiss (S-M) is only conjectured but the conclusion (S-P) is already known, then the deductive form should be inverted into an abductive form, and the erstwhile deduction's conclusion should be a premiss in the abduction, etc.

Now, when Peirce inverts Barbara (AAA-1), he's inverting the roles of conclusion and one premiss. To track the propositions shifted through the inversion, he needs names other than "major premiss", "minor premiss", and "conclusion", so he uses "rule", "case", "result", in whatever order. Putting the result (or fact, or character) second in an abductive inference means putting the surprising observation second. It could just as well come first, logically. If one wants to reflect a temporal order of the abductive premisses as judgments, they can go in either order. On the other hand, we usually think that the rule or habit, as such, pre-exists the case. As I noted before (https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2013-03/msg00047.html ) Peirce in CP 2.711 says:

   711. The cognition of a rule is not necessarily conscious, but is of
   the nature of a habit, acquired or congenital. The cognition of a
   case is of the general nature of a sensation; that is to say, it is
   something which comes up into present consciousness. The cognition
   of a result is of the nature of a decision to act in a particular
   way on a given occasion. In point of fact, a syllogism in
   _/Barbara/_ virtually takes place when we irritate the foot of a
   decapitated frog. The connection between the afferent and efferent
   nerve, whatever it may be, constitutes a nervous habit, a rule of
   action, which is the physiological analogue of the major premiss.
   The disturbance of the ganglionic equilibrium, owing to the
   irritation, is the physiological form of that which, psychologically
   considered, is a sensation; and, logically considered, is the
   occurrence of a case. The explosion through the efferent nerve is
   the physiological form of that which psychologically is a volition,
   and logically the inference of a result. When we pass from the
   lowest to the highest forms of inervation, the physiological
   equivalents escape our observation; but, psychologically, we still
   have, first, habit—which in its highest form is understanding, and
   which corresponds to the major premiss of _/Barbara/_; we have,
   second, feeling, or present consciousness, corresponding to the
   minor premiss of _/Barbara/_; and we have, third, volition,
   corresponding to the conclusion of the same mode of syllogism.

So we see:

2. Minor premiss, case.  Sensation, feeling [firstness].
|>    1. Major premiss, rule.  Habit [thirdness].
3. Conclusion, result.  Decision, volition [secondness].

In abduction, the 'result' is the surprising observation in one of the premisses. In deduction, it's the conclusion which, if neither vacuously stating a logical axiom ("/p/ or not /p/") nor merely restating a premiss or premisses unchanged, brings a new aspect to the premisses, an element of novelty, even of surprise sufficient to lead one to check one's premisses and reasoning.

It's seemed to me that the 'new aspect' of a worthwhile syllogistic deductive conclusion compensates for the deduction's technical redundancy, its conclusion's saying nothing really new to the premisses. This is likewise as plausibility, natural simplicity, compensates for abductive inference's basic wildness. I don't think that one can ignore either the ratiocinative or instinctual aspects in thoughtful abductive inference.

So, the question to me is, is the 'new aspect' brought by such deduction a 'natural,' 'instinctual' kind of novelty, as opposed to logical novelty (the conclusion saying something unentailed by the premisses), **likewise** as abductive plausibility is a natural, instinctual simplicity, as opposed to logical simplicity (a distinction made by Peirce in "A Neglected Argument" the linked paragraph https://sites.google.com/site/cspmem/terms#simple )? This kind of novelty resists being usefully quantified likewise as natural simplicity resists it. I don't know whether the sense of such novelty is properly called instinctual. Generally abductive inference seems to depend more on half-conscious or instinctual inference than deduction does. But the fruitful tension between abduction's wildness and its targeted natural simplicity is taken as a lot more troubling than it should be, I think, insofar as that tension is like the fruitful tension between such deduction's technical redundancy and its targeted novelty of aspect or perspective.

Best, Ben