Jerry R, list,

Jerry asked: "In what sense are you using the term "complete" of *complete
inquiry*?
That is, are you using it colloquially or are you referring to something
that ought to have a technical definition?"

I'm away from my desk for the remainder of the weekend and I haven't any
books, etc. at my disposal, so I'll keep this very brief. I have been using
the expression "complete inquiry" to refer to Peirce's understanding of
such an inquiry as he explicates it in the N.A. There he writes:

"My present abstract will divide itself into three unequal parts. The first
shall give the headings of the different steps of every well-conducted and
complete inquiry, without noticing possible divergencies from the norm."

He will outline the stages of a complete inquiry as, firstly, the formation
of a hypothesis (abduction or there, perhaps, retroduction), then the
deduction of the implications of the hypothesis which would necessarily
follow if it were true, and finally, employing such deductive implications
as may be useful in devising an inductive test of the hypothesis to see to
what extent it conforms to reality and, of course, the actual testing of
the hypothesis. So, abduction (1ns) then deduction (3ns) then induction
(2ns).

That's pretty rough, but I hope it helps for now.

Best,

Gary R

xx

[image: Gary Richmond]