> On 9/13/2016 3:29 AM, John Collier wrote:
>> I used Peirce’s ideas fairly prominently in my philosophy of science courses
>> in the 1980s and 90s. I also used his work to cast light on Kuhnian issues
>> both in my classes and in my doctoral dissertation. Although the last was
>> accepted enthusiastically, I continually got grumblings about how  was not
>> teaching the Standard View properly.
>>
>> Maybe things have improved, with more naturalistic approaches becoming more
>> prevalent, but the culture wars really made a mess of trying to bring in
>> Peircean ideas because the view that science was a mere social construct
>> seemed to be supported by naïve interpretations of Peirce. So I found myself
>> apparently fighting myself at some times.

Yes, the culture wars (which are still with us) are rather annoying. Not just
because of how they try to make science into something we can control and
thereby reject but because of how often they just read philosophers so badly.
Lots of figures who make more careful subtle distinctions about science’s
social aspects are appropriated for tasks they’d be aghast at. (Kuhn is the
classic example although it’s not hard to find others)