Hello Jon S, Gary R., List,

What more might we say about Peirce's account of what "would-be"--where the
focus is on the conceptions of of generality, potentiality and
possibility--when we consider Peirce's suggestion that continuity is relational
generality?

It helps, I think, to consider the difference between Peirce's account of the
operation of different kinds of generals in genuine triadic relations in "The
Logic of Mathematics, an attempt to develop my categories from within." There,
he distinguishes between those genuine triads that have the character of a law
of qualitative similarity, versus those that have the character of a law of
metaphysics, or a law of space or time, versus those triadic relations that
have the character of thoroughly genuine triads--i.e., the laws governing
processes of representation.

Here is what he says about the difference between triadic relations that are
genuine, such as the laws of quality and the laws of fact, versus those that
are thoroughly genuine:

Genuine triads are of three kinds. For while a triad if genuine cannot be in
the world of quality nor in that of fact, yet it may be a mere law, or
regularity, of quality or of fact. But a thoroughly genuine triad is separated
entirely from those worlds and exists in the universe of representations.
Indeed, representation necessarily involves a genuine triad. For it involves a
sign, or representamen, of some kind, outward or inward, mediating between an
object and an interpreting thought. Now this is neither a matter of fact, since
thought is general, nor is it a matter of law, since thought is living. CP 1.515

The laws of fact govern what would-be with a "fixed" sort of necessity. That
is, they are necessary laws or, if we move to the second order, they may be
necessarily necessary in some respects. The laws governing processes of
representation are, at the second, contingent as necessities. In virtue of
these features of how continency and necessity come together in what is
thoroughly genuine in its triadic character as representation, these forms of
order have the character of what is final and not merely efficient. That is,
they are living and growing as forms of order.

As a side note, these richer modal notions gives us a very different sense of
what might be at work in Peirce's understanding of how possibility, actuality
and necessity might be related as prominent characteristics of the three
universes--and how the conception of what is an ens necessarium might be
thought of as creator of all three.

--Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor