Edwina, List:

ET:  Your post outlines the three 'pure' triads where the Relations between
the Object-Representamen-Interpretant are all of one mode; all in the mode
of Firstness or Secondness or Thirdness.

I do not believe that Jeff's post was referring to the O-R-I relations
specifically, but rather to triadic relations in general, since that is
what Peirce discussed in the quoted paper.  In other words, O-R-I is not
the *only kind* of triad, even though it is probably the *paradigmatic
example *of a triad.

In any case, Peirce stated quite clearly that all *genuine *triads belong
to the world of representation, and not to the world of quality or the
world of fact.  These are undoubtedly what he later called the three
Universes of Experience--quality corresponds to Ideas, fact to Brute
Actuality, and representation to Signs.  However, this is not to say that
all signs are in the *mode *of Thirdness; i.e., Necessitants.  Even a
qualisign, which must be iconic and rhematic in its relations to its object
and interpretant, and thus is classified entirely in the mode of Firstness,
belongs primarily to the third Universe--its "being consists in active
power to establish connections between different objects."  However,
specifically as a *quali*sign--a quality that is a sign--it also, in some
sense, belongs to the first Universe.  Likewise, a sinsign belongs to both
the third Universe as a sign and the second Universe as an existent.  I am
still thinking through how all of this works, including how the R-O and R-I
relations fit into the picture, so I would welcome input from others on it.

ET:  As such the categories only function within the triad - the O-R-I
triad.

Perhaps this is our fundamental disagreement, at least when it comes to
this subject.  For Peirce, the categories do not *only *function within the
O-R-I triad--for one thing, they are *everywhere *in his architectonic
arrangement of the sciences!  For sciences of discovery, mathematics as
Firstness, philosophy as Secondness, and special sciences as Thirdness; for
philosophy, phenomenology (phaneroscopy) as Firstness, normative sciences
as Secondness, and metaphysics as Thirdness; for normative sciences,
esthetics as Firstness, ethics as Secondness, logic (semeiotic) as
Thirdness.  Within mathematics, the categories manifest as monads, dyads,
and triads; within phaneroscopy, as quality, reaction, and representation;
within metaphysics, as possibility, actuality, and necessity (habituality);
within logic, as speculative grammar, critic, and methodeutic.  We might
quibble about these particular assignments of the labels, which are just
off the top of my head, but the point is that restricting the categories to
semeiosis is decidedly contrary to Peirce's own approach.

ET:  I don't see either that the 'pure or genuine Thirdness' - the Symbolic
Legisign Argument [O-R-I] can be an 'ens necessarium' because I consider
that our universe requires both Firstness and Secondness and I therefore
reject such a pre-existent 'Platonic creator of all three modes or
universes'.

No one is suggesting that "pure or genuine Thirdness" is identical to an
Argument; this thread concerns metaphysics in general, and cosmology in
particular, rather than semeiotic.  Even if "our universe [now] requires
both Firstness and Secondness," this does not *entail *that they were also
required "before" our actual universe came into being.  While you "reject
such a pre-existent 'Platonic creator of all three modes or universes,"
Peirce quite explicitly believed in just such a Creator, and I honestly do
not see how any *legitimate* reading of "A Neglected Argument" can deny
this.

CSP:  The word "God," so "capitalized" (as we Americans say), is *the
*definable
proper name, signifying *Ens necessarium*; in my belief Really creator of
all three Universes of Experience. (CP 6.452)