Gary R., List:

Zalamea's book has already started paying off.  In a footnote on page 7, he
references a 1989 *Transactions* article by Brian Noble, "Peirce's
Definitions of Continuity and the Concept of Possibility."  The title
seemed promising for insight into the relation between
possibility/Firstness and continuity/Thirdness, so I took a look.  Sure
enough, Noble provided this very helpful passage on page 170.

Throughout this discussion of the concept of possibility it has been
assumed that there is a close relationship between the concepts of *possibility
*and *continuity*.  This relationship is that of *Firstness *to *Thirdness*.
Since possibility and continuity have reference to future events, both must
be general because our knowledge of the future can only be general.  But
each is general in different respects.  Possibility is general because it
is a mere *may-be*, while continuity is general because it is a *would-be*.
What is distinctive of *may-be's* is that the principle of contradiction
does not apply ... What is distinctive of a *would-be* is that the
principle of excluded middle does not apply ... Whereas a *may-be* is the
expression of a possibility, a *would-be* is the expression of a
continuity.

The difference between a *may-be/possibility* and a *would-be/continuity*
then is the difference between the categories of Firstness and Thirdness.
A *would-be* has reference to a whole range of possibilities which it
asserts to be alike in a certain respect.  A *would-be* embodies the
conditions of possibility:  indeed, that is what makes it truly
continuous.  Continuity qua Thirdness has as its Firstness, possibility
which, as Firstness, can be prescinded from continuity and considered in
itself.  But continuity necessarily presupposes possibility and cannot,
therefore, be prescinded from it.

Noble argued that Peirce came to this new understanding of possibility and
continuity in late 1896 or early 1897--precisely the same time frame when
Fisch believed that he finally became a "three-category realist."

Regards,

Jon