Dear Kirsti, John, list:

Ironic how something that is supposed to be (critical) common sense and a
method to make our ideas clear, that it should lead to such lack thereof
and even to passionate disagreement, eh?  But not so surprising if one
understands Socratic irony, which is to know why spiritedness over desire
as ally of reason.  After all, pragmaticism “appears to have been virtually
the philosophy of Socrates.”

_______

I think you label my posts as being nominalist with pejorative intention.
But I recognize great value in nominalism.  James and Peirce were friends
and so were Thrasymachus and Socrates (more or less).

The calling to attention the question of whether CP 5.189 is or is not a
pragmatic maxim represents a nominalistic act.  For* the birth of a poet is
the principal event in chronology. * And “a poet, if he is really to be a
poet, should not only put together words, but should invent stories…the
poet, according to the tradition which has ever prevailed among us, and is
accepted of all men, when he sits down on the *tripod of the muse*, is not
in his right mind; like a fountain, he allows to flow out freely whatever
comes in…”

“…in the manner of a perfect sophist”, ‘only glance at the ambition of the
men around you, and you will have to wonder at the unreasonableness of what
I have told you, unless you are careful to consider how singularly they are
affected with the *love of winning a name*, “and laying up fame immortal
for all time to come.”

Admittedly, the problem with poetry, when contrasted against that of the
philosopher (aged chorus) is:

“For the poet need not know the third point, viz., whether the imitation is
good or not, though he can hardly help knowing the laws of melody and
rhythm.

But the *aged chorus must know all the three, that they may choose the best*,
and that which is nearest to the best; for otherwise they will never be
able to charm the souls of young men in the way of virtue.”

The above argues that the poet and philosopher have different talents and
different roles in reasoning.  This will mean that we should have different
expectations for what poets and philosophers do.  (The issue with Mach
appears to be a separate one involving the statesman/scientist, which is
Second.  For it is the case too often that the Second does not recognize,
or is not aware, of the value of First in chronology.)

Despite your accusation, I consider myself a good pragmatist.  That is, I
expect a good naming to be followed by good definition, which will then
stimulate good mediation of the essence.

But these are old patterns; patterns that seemingly pop up anew with each
generation.  (Think of the never-ending but interesting question, “what
is…the scientific method?”)  Yet, if such generals are of such importance,
then a good philosopher will have gotten ahead of such problems already.
An open question is whether Peirce has done so, whether he has done so
through design of a pragmatic maxim, and whether he was successful.

_________

What I’d like to request of readers is to keep in mind what exactly the
purpose of pragmatic maxims are (for Peirce has indicated several).  Not a
pragmatic maxim for specialized readers of Peirce but a maxim for that
Stranger with general awareness of the classics who comes to Peirce with no
special knowledge of Peirce; a Stranger who has interest in seeing what
Peirce has to add to the ancient tradition.

I think a good maxim ought to, on its own, be able to inform that Stranger
about what he should know about pragmatism.  I think this is a common-sense
expectation.  That is, a good maxim ought to inform and prescribe good
action for not only past patterns but future patterns; patterns of
political conflict such as that which happens on this list all too often.

Therefore, I would ask, if you don’t mind, to humor me by simply stating
the two formulations you mentioned, so that we can explore its goodness and
completeness together.  Perhaps we can even list and rank the various
maxims as determined by their beauty/standards and not simply based on our
recent customs, which can be indubitable.  Moreover, if any of them are
found beautiful enough to be eternal, then we could even label the *best*
one as *divine*.

For “*what task in life could we have performed nobler than this**, to
write what is of great service to mankind and to bring the nature of things
into the light for all to see?”*

Best,

Jerry Rhee