Thanks, Gary.

This is exactly the mindset of the KBpedia Knowledge Ontology [1], which has a triadic upper structure until typologies of natural classes come into play.

This KKO structure is likely to undergo substantial revision over time, but the application of Peirce's ideas of the three categories and categorization (including a speculative grammar for knowledge bases [2]) has guided the initial development.

Mike

[1] http://www.mkbergman.com/1985/threes-all-of-the-way-down-to-typologies/
[2] http://www.mkbergman.com/1958/a-speculative-grammar-for-knowledge-bases/