Dear list:

If pragmaticism appears to have been virtually the philosophy of Socrates,
then it should be helpful to see Peirce and Plato in the same place.  Here,
I’d like to use them together to determine the Sign of pragmatic maxim.
That is, give reasons for why the name/definition/essence should go from
surprise to suspect.

A primary theme of Platonic philosophy is the assertion that there is
a “threefold
knowledge of things…I mean that we know the essence, and that we know the
definition of the essence, and the name,- these are the three; and there
are two questions which may be raised about anything…

Sometimes a person may give the name and ask the definition; or he may give
the definition and ask the name.” ~*Laws*

In *Cratylus*, Plato discusses a fitness of names in context of a theory of
the truth of names.  The dialogue supplies considerations for what a good
name consists in; it ought to provide good information, it should indicate
the nature of the thing to be a representation of the thing, it should
assimilate the name to the object as much as it can...

For example:

"I suppose you mean to say, Cratylus, that as the name is, so also is the
thing; and that he who knows the one will also know the other, because they
are similars, and all similars fall under the same art or science; and
therefore you would say that he who knows names will also know things.

That is precisely what I mean.

But let us consider what is the nature of this information about things
which, according to you, is given us by names. Is it the *best sort of
information*? or is there any other? What do you say?

I believe that to be both* the only and the best* sort of information about
them; there can be no other.

Therefore, to know the name of *the* pragmatic maxim is to know what the
nature and essence of pragmaticism is and outcompete others such that there
is no other.

So how can we tie down this opinion of what the *best* pragmatic maxim is?

_____________

“*Who taught thee me to name?*”, breathed the maxim.

Plato traces some constraints for how names are composed.

“…we have discovered that names have by nature a truth, and that not every
man knows how to give a thing a name.

And what is the nature of this truth or correctness of names?...

Are there any names which witness of themselves that they are not given
arbitrarily, but have a natural fitness? “

To simplify this difficult task, he proposes a means of focus:

 “…there will be more chance of finding correctness in the names of *immutable
essences*; — there ought to have been more care taken about them when they
were named, and perhaps there may have been some more than human power at
work occasionally in giving them names.”

>From here, it becomes eerie because the following selections suggest to me
that Plato anticipated our situation; that he is talking about Peirce and
us, that his reputation as the “broadest generalizer” is much warranted:

“…the first imposers of names must surely have been considerable persons;
they were philosophers, and had a good deal to say…

But do you believe that in the discovery of them, he who discovers the
names discovers also the things…

Well, but do you not see, Cratylus, that he who follows names in the search
after things, and analyses their meaning, is in great danger of being
deceived?...

Why clearly he who first gave names gave them according to his *conception*
of the things which they signified — did he not?...

And if his *conception* was erroneous, and he gave names according to his
*conception*, in what position shall we who are his followers find
ourselves? Shall we not be deceived by him?...

For if he did begin in error, he may have forced the remainder into
agreement with the original error and with himself; there would be nothing
strange in this…

And this is the reason why every man should expend his chief thought and
attention on the consideration of his first principles:— are they or are
they not rightly laid down?

But if this is a* battle of names, *some of them asserting that they are
like the truth, others contending that THEY are, *how or by what criterion
are we to decide between them*?

For there are no other names to which appeal can be made, but obviously
recourse must be had to another standard which, without employing names,
will make clear which of the two are right; and this must be a standard
which shows the truth of things.

Well, but reflect; have we not several times acknowledged that names
rightly given are the likenesses and images of the things which they name?"

_____________

*Here is our battle of names:*

CP 5.402 is the best pragmatic maxim.

CP 5.189 is the best pragmatic maxim.

To settle this issue is to decide which has a better likeness to
pragmaticism.

To determine the better argument is to know by what criteria we judge.

The argument that CP 5.189 is the normative form of abduction does not
appear to be self-evident to everyone.  It is opinion but the claim is that
it is true opinion.  This claim does not appear to determine that it is the
best one, because the reasons for its normativity, which captures the logic
of abduction, is inadequate or simply missed.  Ordinality is only valued by
some and not all Peirceans.  The identity/likeness between Peirce and
ancient philosophy, the river of pragmaticism, is ignored away.  An
explicit requirement for the three categories is not deemed a necessary
expectation for what *the* pragmatic maxim ought to include.  Its capacity
to order the great and the small, unlimited/limited, surface of
things/heart of things, substance/being is not recognized.  Bringing
attention to the importance of the social dimension through transformation
of surprise to suspect, which captures necessity of duration, is not
valued.  Weighing of *pros* and *cons* lead to inaction, to no movement.

Never mind that “Education consists in turning the attention of the mind
and enlarging the scope of its contemplation to a synoptic vision” (Richard
McKeon).  “Perhaps it is our conceit that there is only one way of
understanding a phenomenon” (Jerome Bruner).

Though ‘hard, is the knowledge of the good’, I cannot help believing that
agreeing to *one and only one pragmatic maxim- *the *best* one with the
character of an immutable essence- is necessary to move efficiently toward
the summum bonum.  That is, it would be foolish to work toward concrete
reasonableness without it if it is deemed *complete* as the logic of
abduction; and *complete,* because harmony in

one two three… C A B… name definition essence…

Consider, for instance, interchangeability of the following:

pragmaticism, pragmatic maxim, CP 5.189

CP 5.189, pragmatic maxim, pragmaticism

pragmatic maxim, CP 5.189, pragmaticism

pragmatic maxim, CP 5.189, growth of concrete reasonableness

*What other argumentation outcompetes it?  **If not this, which?  *

_______

So, what decides the strongest argument?  What is the motivator, given that
it still remains *up to us* to do so?  If we are to know the art that leads
to knowledge in the unqualified sense, where is this art of demonstration? (
*para*., Muhsin Mahdi)

In absence of that demonstration, I will throw more words, sensible
perhaps, but still, they’re just words.

For example, what about our valuation for primary things that are to be
trusted over secondary things?  For “the secondary, as I conceive, derive
their significance from the primary.”

For example, CP 5.402 states: *“*Consider what effects, that might
conceivably have practical bearings, we conceive the object of our
*conception* to have. Then, our *conception* of these effects is the whole
of our *conception* of the object.”

And recall that CP 5.189 is an argument, and an argument is a proposition,
and “A *concept* is already implicitly a proposition; a proposition
implicitly an argument.” (Olshewsky)

For “The conception of *being* arises upon the formation of a proposition.
A proposition always has, besides a term to express the substance, another
to express the quality of that substance; and the function of the
conception of being is to unite the quality to the substance. “ ~Peirce

Then CP 5.402 is said to be derivative of CP 5.189 because the latter
structures the conception, gives it *form*, provides the sequence and
duration, which 5.402 needs to have for it to recommend anything at all.

So, why bother with a best?

Because “we must see whether the primary, and also whether the secondary
elements are rightly given or not, for if they are not, the composition of
them, my dear Hermogenes, will be a sorry piece of work, and in the wrong
direction.”

__________

I wish to leave you with the last words of *Cratylus, *which should be of
particular interest to those who care to know about pragmatic convergence
theories of truth:

“Whether there is this eternal nature in things, or whether the truth is
what Heracleitus and his followers and many others say, is a question hard
to determine; and no man of sense will like to put himself or the education
of his mind in the power of names…

Reflect well...and do not easily accept such a doctrine; for you are young
and of an age to learn. And when you have found the truth, come and tell me.

Very good, Socrates; I hope, however, that you will continue to think about
these things yourself.”

Thank you for your consideration and best wishes,
Jerry Rhee