John, List:

> On Jan 17, 2017, at 8:38 AM, John F Sowa <s...@bestweb.net> wrote:
>
> Yes, but mathematicians never assume that any terms have universally
> accepted definitions.  They never say "set theory" by itself.
> Even the qualifications ZF or VNBG in front of "set theory" are
> not sufficient.  In any publication, mathematicians have to be very
> specific about the slightest details of notation and punctuation.

I concur, generally speaking..  As members of unique discipline, mathematicians
are particularly anal with regard to fastidious patterns of usage of symbols.

Of course, I agree with your sentence:

> Yes, but mathematicians never assume that any terms have universally
> accepted definitions.

but possibly because an unintended meaning that the sentence conveys.
Would you like to re-phrase it?

The next sentence:
> They never say "set theory" by itself.

is a tad of an over-statement.

The following sentence:
> In any publication, mathematicians have to be very
> specific about the slightest details of notation and punctuation.

is also very typical of a mathematician speaking about their craft.
But, in practice, it is an ideal that is only approached by a few.

Every discipline has its own peculiar “culture” of self-image or ideal
competencies.

My first true discipline, biochemistry, had a pithy summary of its cultural
style of communication:

A biochemist speaks
chemistry to the biologist,
biology to the chemist,