Dear list:

Why not consider instead:

“What do you make to be the meaning of "George Washington"?”

Or “a statue of a soldier on some village monument, in his overcoat and
with his musket…”

For if the names are of “a *type*, or *form*, to which objects, both those
that are externally existent and those which are imagined, may *conform*,
but which none of them can *exactly* be,”

then valuation must have something to do with a particular being a general
or a general being a universal.  For how else can a particular ever be a
general when this regular in the general will never be this irregular in
the particular?

Therefore, to avoid “metaphysical nonsense”, it is good to remember when an
utterer is asserting that a term is intentioned as a *formal* and not a
*material* consequence.

If two men think differently either may be right…If a demonstration appears
perfectly conclusive to one person and not so to another, it may be that
there is some fallacy in it.… the opinions of most persons upon most
subjects may be entirely neglected.

But if the object of reasoning is to settle questions, then let us exclude
a part of those things which are inconsistent with the true end.

This is a maxim constantly neglected, for some persons seem to think the
chief use of the power of reasoning is its own exercise.“

Passages modified from “What Pragmatism Is” and Writings of Charles S.
Peirce, Vol. 2; “Rules for Investigation” and “Practical Logic”.

Hth,

Jerry R