Jon,
As I understand you, a nominalist would say that "possibilities" are not
part of "real" and that "habit/law" is not part of "real".

Does that mean that if I told a nominalist that if I repeatedly shuffled a
deck of cards, and then looked at the top card, there was a 1/4 *chance* of
drawing a heart, they would say I was talking gibberish?

What if I told them it is likely organisms will exist in 2 million years
with traits that do not exist today?

What if I told them that, as a general rule, things that are heavier than
the surrounding air sink towards the center of the earth when released?

Or that, as a matter of habit, I put my right sock on before my left?

I suspect that the nominalist would not be flustered by such claims, though
they might caveat them in minor ways.

If I am correct about that, then it is unclear to me what *actual*
happening we could observe, under the circumstances of some to-be-arranged
experiment, to distinguish which approach is correct.

P.S. I anticipate you might accuse me of begging the question in that last
part (by use of the italicized word), but I am inquiring nonetheless, as it
seems a fair question for a pragmatist to ask.

Eric P. Charles, Ph.D.
Supervisory Survey Statistician
U.S. Marine Corps
<echar...@american.edu>