Jon,
With regards to the second point, on whether there might not be natural
laws, I was thinking about things like "Order of nature", in which Peirce
points out that: "If we could find out any general characteristic of the
universe, any mannerism in the ways of Nature, any law everywhere
applicable and universally valid, such a discovery would be of such
singular assistance to us in all our future reasoning, that it would
deserve a place almost at the head of the principles of logic. On the other
hand, if it can be shown that there is nothing of the sort to find out, but
that every discoverable regularity is of limited range, this again will be
of logical importance."

In the remainder of that essay, and elsewhere, Peirce seems clearly to
believe that there *are *laws everywhere applicable and universally valid.
However, he also seems unwilling to completely discount the possibility
that when the indefinite community has conducted its infinite inquiry, it
might be the case that every discoverable regularity *is*, in fact, of
limited range. Now, one can, if one wants, define "laws of nature" as
having whatever scope one wants, but my intended point was that Peirce
allows that universal laws - laws of nature as classically conceived -
might not exist.

With regards to the first point, regarding "real", you might have me.
However, I cannot be sure, because of my basic confusion regarding the
distinction in question. Of what might our infinite inquirers reach
agreement, which does not entail consequences? Peirce is (in no small part)
trying to explicate the world as the scientist sees it, and so the
agreement he is interested in is the agreement which results from inquiry,
primarily experimental inquiry. That is, he is interested in the result of
myriad investigations of the form "If I do X, to Y, what is the result?" As
such, it would seem that being "real" and having "effects" are inseparable,
because we cannot possibly reach agreement regarding things which do not
have effects.

We can get at the problem similarly by going back to Peirce's assertion
that any two ideas with all the same consequences are the same idea. Let us
posit something that has no effects detectable under any circumstances,
call it "galblax". The concept of galblax that is real, and the concept of
galblax that is not-real have exactly the same implications, and so any
attempt to distinguishing the two concepts is incoherent. Only if the
"stuff" in question has an effects, is it coherent to inquire about it, and
only if we can follow the path of inquiry is it possible that a consensus
be reached, which again connects "real" with "having effects".

Note again that my intention is not to bring us into the weeds of the
issues, but to try to understand what (people think) "nominalism" and
"realism" mean in a pragmatist concept.

Best,
Eric

Eric P. Charles, Ph.D.