The reference is to the method, not the word. There is an historical continuity
between the Medieval empiricists like Roger Bacon, and Galen’s followers (he
died about 299 AD (who go back to Arabic predecessors, perhaps influenced by
Galen – medical usage, of course, but he seemed to extend it in his views of
the natural world)  and the later ones who came to called The British
Empiricists, though not by that name at that time. On source puts the general
use of the modern accepted sense at 1796, well after the British Empiricists.

Typical definition:

empiricist

ɛmˈpɪrɪsɪst/

PHILOSOPHY

noun

1.

a person who supports the theory that all knowledge is based on experience
derived from the senses.

"most scientists are empiricists by nature"

adjective

1.

relating to or characteristic of the theory that all knowledge is based on
experience derived from the senses.

"his radically empiricist view of science as a direct engagement with the world"

The term in its present form originated in 1660-70; some say about 1700. If you
think that words determine thoughts, than there was no empiricism except in
medicine before these dates.

Aristotle had some things I common with empiricists, but his requirement for a
rationalist/ essentialist middle term undermined that because it required the
active nour. The Medieval ones gave that up. But so did many of the stoics, who
were therefore empiricists.

The term goes back to the Greeks, not that I think that some magic connects
terms to ideas:

Etymology

The English term empirical derives from the Greek word ἐμπειρία, empeiria,
which is cognate with and translates to the Latin experientia, from which are
derived the word experience and the related experiment. The term was used by
the Empiric school of ancient Greek medical practitioners, who rejected the
three doctrines of the Dogmatic school, preferring to rely on the observation
of "phenomena".[5]

NB the restriction to medicine here, similar to the early restriction of
semiotics to medicine.

Peirce relevance: Peirce is usually included among those who tried to combine
elements of empiricism and rationalism, though for my money he doesn’t fit
either camp very well

In any case, the recent attempts on this list to try to tie empiricism to the
use of the word are pretty poor examples of scholarship.

John Collier

Emeritus Professor and Senior Research Associate Philosophy, University of
KwaZulu-Natal http://web.ncf.ca/collier