}Jon, list - we agree on something! I agree with your outline of the
three Interpretants!

         Although I would quibble with the definition of the Final
Interpretant as " the habitual effect that a Sign would produce;
e.g., through repetition of a particular Dynamic Interpretant."  I
vew the Final Interpretant as the generalities [which has
similarities, I supposed, to your 'habitual effect']....but I would
say 'through repetition of MULTIPLE Dynamic Interpretants'.  That is,
I view the Final Interpretant as an effect of many semiosic processes.

 This message is virus free, protected by Primus - Canada's
 largest alternative telecommunications provider.
 http://www.primus.ca
 On Fri 31/03/17  3:30 PM , Jon Alan Schmidt jonalanschm...@gmail.com
sent:
 Helmut, List:
 I agree that "habit" is broader for Peirce than "a gradual
approximation process."
 "Effete" is just an antiquated synonym for "weak" or "degenerate."
Of course, Peirce elsewhere referred to matter as "partially deadened
mind," which gets at the same basic idea.
 There are different notions about what the Immediate, Dynamic, and
Final Interpretants are, which obviously affects what  else they
might be.  My current working theory is that the Immediate
Interpretant is a range of possible effects that a Sign may produce,
the Dynamic Interpretant is any actual effect that a Sign does
produce, and the Final Interpretant is the habitual effect that a
Sign would produce; e.g., through repetition of a particular Dynamic
Interpretant.  With these definitions, they would not really be
amenable to your suggestions.
  Regards,
Jon Alan Schmidt - Olathe, Kansas, USAProfessional Engineer, Amateur
Philosopher, Lutheran Laymanwww.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt [1] -
twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt [2]