Edwina, Stephen, list,

I don't disagree with the points you're addressing, but I'm
concerned about the proliferation of terminology.

Formal logic and linguistics (Chomsky, Montague, Kamp, Partee
and their PhD students) have had little success for AI and natural
language understanding.  The next generation of students adopted
statistics and neural networks.

I believe that Peirce's insights are an excellent foundation for
relating and integrating all those areas -- the new and the old.

We have an opportunity for bringing Peirce into the mainstream of
cognitive science (philosophy, psychology, linguistics, artificial
intelligence, neuroscience, and anthropology).  Peirce was a
pioneer in developing the foundations for all those areas.

Edwina
And I'd also agree that imitation is vital, but I'd define such an
action more through the development of common GENERAL habits-of-form
and behaviour than pure active imitation or direct copying.

Stephen
I am 100% with you on this. I just did a synonym search on imitation,
without luck. I think we need to invent a new word to more accurately
describe this replication and sharing of signs/behavior.

Some new words may be useful, but there's already an overabundance
of terminology from several millennia of philosophy, most of which
Peirce replaced with a new set of terms.  That is the theme of the
following article:

Signs and Reality
http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/signs.pdf

Criterion for any new terminology:  Will it make Peirce's writings
more accessible to people who come from other traditions?