>”And I'd also agree that imitation is vital, but I'd define such an action
>more through the development of common GENERAL habits-of-form and behaviour
>than pure active imitation or direct copying.”

I am 100% with you on this. I just did a synonym search on imitation, without
luck. I think we need to invent a new word to more accurately describe this
replication and sharing of signs/behavior.

I'd use the term 'Sign' [capital S] to mean, I think, what you mean by a
'holon'.

And I agree with your notion of non-local  'entanglement' which I would refer
to as 'informational networking'. It is also non-local.

And I'd also agree that imitation is vital, but I'd define such an action more
through the development of common GENERAL habits-of-form and behaviour than
pure active imitation or direct copying.

This message is virus free, protected by Primus - Canada's
largest alternative telecommunications provider.

http://www.primus.ca

On Sat 01/04/17 3:48 AM , "Stephen Jarosek" sjaro...@iinet.net.au sent:

List,

Regarding the Peircean categories in matter, here are the starting assumptions
that I work with:

1)      First, a couple of definitions: A HOLON is a mind-body. Every living
organism, as a mind-body, is a holon. Furthermore, IMITATION is an important
category of pragmatism. Every organism “learns how to be” through imitation;

2)      The Peircean categories relate to holons. Pragmatism requires a
mind-body in order to define the things that matter;

3)      An atom or a molecule is a holon;

4)      In the video Inner Life of the Cell <https://youtu.be/FzcTgrxMzZk> ,
what I observe is less chemical reactions (in the conventional, linear,
materialist sense) than it is a whole ecosystem at the molecular level.

In the persistence of atoms and molecules across time, we encounter Peirce’s
description of matter as  “mind hide-bound in habit,” so we have no argument
there. But what about pragmatism, or the other categories? From a
semiotic/pragmatic perspective, how does an atom or molecule define the things
that matter?

This is where entanglement (nonlocality) enters the picture. My conjecture is
that atoms and molecules “know” their proper conduct, or properties, through
entanglement. Entanglement is their imitation. A molecular “mind-body” has its
predispositions (secondness, or association) and motivations (firstness), and
it will act on them as per the video clip… but it can only “know how to be”
through entanglement. Knowing how to be, I guess, relates in the first instance
to firstness.

It is along these lines that I base my DNA entanglement thesis:
https://www.academia.edu/29626663/DNA_ENTANGLEMENT_THE_EVIDENCE_MOUNTS

Imitation plays such an important role in pragmatism and defining the things
that matter. Even for atoms and molecules. Imitation is perhaps the most
important antidote to entropy… no let me rephrase that… imitation is perhaps
central to overcoming entropy. A species sharing identical mind-bodies with
identical predispositions is one thing, but there are so many possibilities in
those predispositions that a shared consensus in behavior… imitation… is
required to enable an ecosystem to hang together. We see this especially in
human cultures… same mind-bodies, but totally different cultures. Imitation
whittles down infinite possibility to pragmatic, tangible reality.

sj