Clark, List:

I tracked down the passage in Short's book that I was only dimly
remembering when we had this exchange a few days ago in the thread on
"Pragmatic Theory of Truth."

TLS:  ‘[E]ach Sign must have its peculiar Interpretability’, Peirce said.
He did not mean that the interpretability is peculiar to the sign (i.e.,
shared by no other sign), which would be false, but that the sign (using
the word opaquely) has only that one interpretability. A different
immediate interpretant would constitute a different sign. It follows that
something, X, having diverse immediate interpretants,Ri1, Ri2, ... , is
that many distinct signs, S1, S2, ... That fits the way we ordinarily count
signs. Suppose that in nineteenth-century Arizona a rancher observes some
puffs of smoke on the horizon: they are a sign of fire; they are also a
sign that the Apaches are on the warpath. We count these as two signs,
albeit they are the same smoke ... Any dynamic interpretant of a given sign
must actualize that sign’s immediate interpretant, in one way or another;
otherwise, it would not be an interpretant of *that *sign. And, yet,
dynamic interpretants of the same sign will differ from one another: ‘My
Dynamical Interpretant is that which is experienced in each act of
Interpretation and is different in each from that of any other’. (pp.
188-189)

It turns out that Short "counts" different Signs based on different
*Immediate *Interpretants, but not based on different *Dynamic *Interpretants.
This makes sense, given that the Immediate Interpretant is *internal *to
the Sign, while the Dynamic Interpretant is *external *to it; especially
since each occurrence of the latter is *distinct*, even for the same Sign.
So I wonder--does this "counting" principle also apply to Immediate
(internal) vs. Dynamic (external) *Objects*?  Maybe so; in Short's example,
the puffs of smoke would seem to constitute the same *Dynamic *Object, but
have different *Immediate *Objects as a Sign of fire vs. a Sign of Apaches
on the warpath.

This leads to my suggestion that every Sign has an Immediate Object and
Immediate Interpretant that are real possibilities internal to it, thus
forming a triad; but a Sign may or may not have a Dynamic Object and a
Dynamic Interpretant that are actualities external to it, as three
correlates of a triadic relation.  Again, what do you think?

www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt> - twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt