Clark, List:

CG:  I suppose this is a very long way of saying that I think signs are
only the same sign when both the immediate interpretant and immediate
object are the same.

I think that Edwina and I came to the same conclusion over the course of
our discussion in this thread.  We agreed that the Sign proper is the
internal triad consisting of the Immediate Object, the Representamen, and
the Immediate Interpretant; and that every such Sign must be both
determined by an external Dynamic Object and *capable *of determining an
external Dynamic Interpretant, although it is *not *necessary that the
latter ever be *actualized*.

This model raises a few interesting questions that I have started to
explore in my own mind.

   - Should we consider using different terms for the three modes of a
   Representamen (e.g., Mark/Token/Type) vs. the three modes of a Sign (e.g.,
   Qualisign/Sinsign/Legisign)?
   - If so, what is the relation between the mode of one and the mode of
   the other?
   - Are there any obvious examples where Oi, R, and Ii are in *different *
   modes?
   - If not--i.e., if they are typically all in the same mode--can they be
   grouped into a single trichotomy, reducing the total number of Sign classes
   from 66 to 45?
   - If they remain separate, should the Oi, R, and Ii trichotomies be kept
   together in the order of determination, rather than inserting the S-Od
   relation between S and Ii as is often done?

Any thoughts?