> On Apr 6, 2017, at 12:31 PM, Edwina Taborsky <tabor...@primus.ca> wrote:
>
> I don't accept the neoDarwinian hypothesis that adaptation and evolution are
> due to randomness and Natural Selection. I think that adaptation and
> evolution are actions of Mind; that is, the biological systems adapt to
> environmental realities - not randomly - but as INFORMED systems.

Well that might put a bit of an impasse since I tend to accept normal
evolutionary theories and mechanisms. But more what I’m getting at is how
chance (speaking broadly here in a fashion that might include randomness and
spontaneity) combined with more determinate structures can lead to mind. Put an
other way, I see mind as informed mind as more an emergent or higher order
phenomena. But it’s a phenomena that arises out of habit and chance.

My sense, perhaps incorrect, is that you want spontaneity within mind to be a
kind of informed deliberation not reducible to its parts (including chance).

> By entropy I am referring to the nature of a biological system that 'holds'
> or binds energy as matter within its morphological nature. So, a particular
> biological species that changes its capacity to hold onto this matter-and its
> metabolic transformation, and it might to this for any number of reasons -
> might release energy/matter to the 'world', which is then rapidly made use of
> by another biological system. So, we will see an increasing complexity in an
> ecosystem. A swamp with myriad grasses might see the development of more
> 'individualistic grasses' which function only in a narrow range of the swamp,
> BUT, this might lead to a proliferation of more diverse grasses and plants;
> more diverse insects and birds - some at the periphery of the swamp, some in
> the mainstream.

I’m trying to wrap my mind around that sense of entropy and relate it more to
the sense in traditional thermodynamics. This seems a much, much, narrower use
although maybe I’m just missing something since I’m not familiar with this use.
(John - you mentioned your experience with thermodynamics. Any help here?)