BODY { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px; }
 Gary R - I agree with your comment re 'chance creates habit'. I
don't see how this could happen. Chance enables the development of
different habits.

        But habit-taking is primordial. My only difference is that I think
that the tendency to behave within Firstness, Secondness and
Thirdness  - each of which are different behaviours - all three are
primordial. I don't see that Thirdness is privileged in this set;
i.e., First-in-line.

 This message is virus free, protected by Primus - Canada's
 largest alternative telecommunications provider.
 http://www.primus.ca
 On Fri 07/04/17  1:58 PM , Gary Richmond gary.richm...@gmail.com
sent:
 Clark, Jon S, Gary F, Edwina, John S, list,
 This is a most interesting discussion, but for now I'd like only to
repeat a point which, as I recall, Jon S recently made in response to
you. You wrote:
 It’s also the case that chance creates habit.
 But, as I see it, this is not at all the case. Chance may break up
old habits--and this is essential, for example, for evolution to
occur--but I don't see that "chance creates habit" either in Peirce's
early cosmological musings, nor once *this* universe--our universe--is
underway. The habit-taking tendency (3ns) is there from the get-go,
either as primordial (in the sense that all three categories are) or,
to put it somewhat differently and with a different emphasis, in the
sense that one can derive monadic and dyadic relations from triadic
ones, but that stringing together monads and dyads (although properly
speaking monads can't even be strung together) could  never produce
triads (nor a fortiori produce all higher -adities according to
Peirce's 'reduction thesis').
 While some would disagree, Jon S and I have argued here near the
close of last year that the 'black board' metaphor in the final
lecture of RLT strongly suggests that if one associates continuity
with 3ns (which Peirce in places explicitly does), then continuity
(so 3ns) is primal and the two other categories are either derived
from--or inscribed upon--that ur-continuity or, in some obscure way
contained within it (potentially) from the outset--although this last
matter remains quite unclear to me at present (alathough I think Jon S
might say 'inscribed upon it').
 But, again, my present question is, why do you continue to say that
"chance creats habit"?
 Best,
 Gary R
  Gary RichmondPhilosophy and Critical ThinkingCommunication
StudiesLaGuardia College of the City University of New YorkC 745718
482-5690