From: Clark Goble [mailto:cl...@lextek.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 12 April 2017 6:32 PM
To: Peirce-L <PEIRCE-L@list.iupui.edu>
Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Laws of Nature as Signs

On Apr 12, 2017, at 8:15 AM, John F Sowa
<s...@bestweb.net<mailto:s...@bestweb.net>> wrote:

CG

I’d more put it that biological descriptions typically aren’t
reducible to chemistry or physics... attempting to make the
reduction... did perhaps help in getting biologists to think
more carefully about the type of descriptions they make.

You could say the same about "reducing" meteorology to computational
physics.  Weather predictions today are far more reliable than they
were 50 years ago.  But it's good to have an alternate date when
you're planning a picnic.

Yes that’s the exact way I think about it. It’s a practical issue not a
metaphysical one. Further non-linear dynamics (not always at work) can make
some reductions as difficult as some predictions. A little error can sometimes
spiral out of control such as with a double pendulum.