> On Apr 12, 2017, at 11:21 AM, John Collier <colli...@ukzn.ac.za> wrote:
>
> Some reductions are impossible because the functions are not computable, even
> in Newtonian mechanics.

Are you talking about the problem in mathematics of solving things like the
three body problem? That’s not quite what I was thinking of rather I was more
thinking that any solution is approximate and the errors can propagate in weird
ways.

But that’s true of almost any real phenomena which is more complex than we can
calculate. It’s not just an issue of reduction although it clearly manifests in
the problem of reduction and emergence.