Edwina, List:

Again, my understanding is that the three-spoke diagram represents one
triadic relation.  As such, it corresponds to only one of the ten
trichotomies of 1908--the very last one, "the Triadic Relation of the Sign
to the Dynamical Object and to its Normal Interpretant" (EP 2:483), which
divides the Sign "As to the Nature of the Assurance of the Utterance" (EP
2:490) into Instinct/Experience/Form.  Hence the spokes *themselves *are
all in the *same *mode, even though the *correlates *at their ends and the
*dyadic* *relations *between those correlates can be in *different *modes.

By contrast, the three trichotomies of 1903 are for "the sign in itself" as
Qualisign/Sinsign/Legisign, "the relation of the sign to its Object" as
Icon/Index/Symbol, and how "its Interpretant represents it" as
Rheme/Dicent/Argument (EP 2:291-292).  Peirce subsequently characterized
the latter as "the Relation of the Sign to the Normal Interpretant" (EP
2:483), but I have been suggesting recently that it should be associated
instead with the relation of the Sign to the Dynamic Interpretant.

To be honest, given that the Sign relation is genuinely *triadic*, I have
never fully understood why Peirce initially classified Signs on the basis
of one correlate and two *dyadic *relations.  Perhaps others on the List
can shed some light on that.

Regards,

Jon S.