Jon, List,
You wrote:
"To be honest, given that the Sign relation is genuinely triadic, I have never fully understood why Peirce initially classified Signs on the basis of one correlate and two dyadic relations.  Perhaps others on the List can shed some light on that."

I have a guess about that: I remember from a thread with Jon Awbrey about relation reduction something like the following:
A triadic relation is called irreducible, because it cannot compositionally be reduced to three dyadic relations. Compositional reduction is the real kind of reduction. But there is another kind of reduction, called projective (or projectional?) reduction, which is a kind of consolation prize for people, who want to reduce. It is possible for some triadic relations.
Now a triadic relation, say, (S,O,I) might be reduced projectionally to (S,O), (O,I), (I,S).
My guess is now, that Peirce uses another kind of projectional reduction: (S,S), (S,O), (S,I).
It is only a guess, because I am not a mathematician. But at least I would say, that mathematically a relation wit itself is possible, so the representamen relation can be called relation too, instead of correlate.
Best,
Helmut

 13. April 2017 um 15:40 Uhr