Jon,

I think i’m beginning to catch on to what you’re driving at, so I’ll insert my
no desire to evoke that kind of feeling!

Gary f.

From: Jon Alan Schmidt [mailto:jonalanschm...@gmail.com]
Sent: 16-Apr-17 17:31

Gary F., List:

When I say that one aspect of semeiosis "determines" another, what I
mean--because it is what I take Peirce to mean--is that the mode of the first
constrains the mode of the second.

[GF: ] By “mode,” are you referring to the ‘mode of being’ (Firstness,
Secondness, Thirdness?)

The Sign determines the Sign-Object relation such that if the Sign in itself is
a possibility, then the Sign-Object relation must be a possibility; and if the
Sign-Object relation is a law, then the Sign in itself must be a law.

[GF: ] Translating the second part of that into the terms of NDTR, if the
Sign-Object relation is a law, the Sign is a Symbol. But it does not follow
from this that the Sign in itself must be a Legisign. It could also be a
symbolic Dicisign (proposition) or a Rheme (term).

The same is true for the Sign-Object relation with respect to how the
Interpretant represents the Sign in respect to the Object.

[GF: ] Hmmm, now I’m getting queasy …

That is why three trichotomies result in ten Sign classes, rather than 27.
That is why a Qualisign must also be an Icon and a Rheme, and why an Argument
must also be a Symbol and a Legisign.

[GF: ] I thought we already agreed that it’s the order of determination that
accounts for that (more phenomenologically complex can determine simpler, but
not the reverse).

GF:  And that goes double for your claim that “the Sign-Object relation
determines how the Interpretant represents the Sign.” In my view, that is
determined by whether the Sign is an Argument, a Dicisign or a Rheme.

Maybe this is where the disconnect is happening.  You seem to be saying that
whether the Sign is an Argument, Dicent, or Rheme determines how the
Intepretant represents the Sign in respect to the Object.  By contrast, my
understanding has always been that how the Interpretant represents the Sign in
respect to the Object determines whether the Sign is classified as an Argument,
Dicent, or Rheme.

[GF: ] Ah. Well, I have been speaking as if a Sign is classified that way
because it really is that kind of Sign, i.e. Peirce’s definition of that Sign
type in NDTR really does apply to that particular Sign. In other words, I’m
speaking from a pragmatistically realist point of view. All of Peirce’s
definitions of the nine sign types in the three trichotomies are consistent
with the order of determination as stated above, as far as I can see, but they
are definitions, so they do determine what names are applied to the signs which
fit them.

The Sign in itself is always and only a Qualisign, Sinsign, or Legisign.  No
Sign is a Rheme, a Dicent, or an Argument in itself; it is only classified as
such by virtue of how its Interpretant represents it in respect to the Object.
Likewise, no Sign is an Icon, an Index, or a Symbol in itself; it is only
classified as such by virtue of its relation to its Object.

[GF: ] OK, that’s true. As long as we agree that all nine of these Sign types
are classifications of Signs, i.e. of First Correlates in the various triadic
relations that make up this universe of semiotic discourse. Sometimes I think
that the kind of confusion we’ve been experiencing is sown by the habit of
referring to the Sign as the “whole triad” rather than the First Correlate of a
triadic relation, which is how Peirce defines the term “Sign” in the Syllabus.
That’s why I consider it a bad habit, at least for any reader trying to
understand Peircean semiotic.