Gary F., List:

When I say that one aspect of semeiosis "determines" another, what I
mean--because it is what I take Peirce to mean--is that the mode of the
first *constrains *the mode of the second.  The Sign determines the
Sign-Object relation such that if the Sign in itself is a possibility, then
the Sign-Object relation must be a possibility; and if the Sign-Object
relation is a law, then the Sign in itself must be a law.  The same is true
for the Sign-Object relation with respect to how the Interpretant
represents the Sign in respect to the Object.  That is why three
trichotomies result in ten Sign classes, rather than 27.  That is why a
Qualisign must also be an Icon and a Rheme, and why an Argument must also
be a Symbol and a Legisign.

GF:  And that goes double for your claim that “the Sign-Object relation
determines how the Interpretant represents the Sign.” In my view, that is
determined by whether the Sign is an Argument, a Dicisign or a Rheme.

Maybe this is where the disconnect is happening.  You seem to be saying
that whether the Sign *is *an Argument, Dicent, or Rheme determines how the
Intepretant represents the Sign in respect to the Object.  By contrast, my
understanding has always been that how the Interpretant represents the Sign
in respect to the Object determines whether the Sign *is classified *as an
Argument, Dicent, or Rheme.

The Sign *in itself* is always and only a Qualisign, Sinsign, or Legisign.
No Sign is a Rheme, a Dicent, or an Argument *in itself*; it is only
*classified
*as such by virtue of how its Interpretant represents it in respect to the
Object.  Likewise, no Sign is an Icon, an Index, or a Symbol *in itself*;
it is only *classified *as such by virtue of its relation to its Object.