John,
Actually Sheldrake was able to test a hypothesis (which, to my knowledge he did not himself believe in at the time)on non-local effects. His series of experiments (one will never do) on pidgeons are truly ingenious and suberb AS experimental designs.

If that is agreed (after thorough studying), then his findings arew noteworthy. Within my expertice his experimental designs were impeccable. - If the result feel odd and mysterious, that is no scientific ground to reject them.

This has nothing to do with sympathy or antipathy. The result of any well-conducted experiment are what they are. They present 'brute secondness' as I think CSP would have put it.

Being so seasoned as I am in doing and evaluating experimental research, I do not take seriously any 'results' I have not been able to check according to the design, process and statistical methods used. - Sheldrake with his pidgeon investigations passed this test.

In philosophy of science, as you well know, there was a belief in cumulating scientific 'facts' showing us 'the truth'. Positivism. Now we, at least most of us, know that truth is a bit more complicated issue.

With former investigations on phenomena called 'telepathy' or other of the same kind, one of the flaws rises up from statistical tests used to test statistical significance. Any results (measuremensts) of any investigation showing statistically nonsignificant difference between zero hypotothesis (no effect) and the hypothesis tested, do not in fact prove the zero hypothesis. - The 'no effect' hypothesis is extremely difficult to prove. - It may well be that it is LOGICALLY impossible to prove.

To my knowledge this has not been truly PROVED, so far. I believe it will be. But this is just foreboding.

Relational thinking is needed in taking any stance with 'paranormal' phenomena. What today is taken as such, were not so taken in history. Even our history as modern scientists and logicians. It is not so long ago phenomena now considered as odd, were considered as normal.

One difference lies in that people talked about such things. Nowadays people get worried about seeming odd. - Nothing scientific or logical in that. It is about paying attention. In science, that means systematic, prolonged attention.

The modern world and history is full of totally useless experimental investigations.
Sheldrake's investigations do not belong in this lot.

This does not mean that I all fore for his "dogma" thing. I am definitely not.

But I do think they are worth some attention.

Kirsti