Gary F, John S, List,

In the second Lecture, Peirce is providing relatively informal explanations of
the starting points for the EG. If these explanations were to be cast in a more
rigorous way, how might we characterize each of the starting assumptions?

In his monograph, Don Roberts characterizes the first three conventions in the
following way:

Conventions
CI. The sheet of assertion in all of its parts is a graph. 4.396-7.
C2. Whatever is scribed on the sheet of assertion is asserted to be true of the
universe represented by that sheet. 4.397.
C3. Graphs scribed on different parts of the sheet of assertion are all
asserted to be true. 4.433.

Peirce thinks of the EG as a part of pure mathematics. As such, we should be
able to characterize each of the starting points as a definition, postulate or
axiom.
Peirce provides the following explanations of each:

1.     A definition is the logical analysis of a predicate in general terms. It
has two branches, the one asserting that the definitum is applicable to
whatever there may be to which the definition is applicable, the other (which
ordinarily has several clauses), that the definition is applicable to whatever
there may be to which the definitum is applicable. A definition does not assert
that anything exists.

2.     A postulate is an initial hypothesis in general terms. It may be
arbitrarily assumed provided that (the definitions being accepted) it does not
conflict with any principle of substantive possibility or with any already
adopted postulate. By a principle of substantive possibility, I mean, for
example, that it would not be admissible to postulate that there was no
relation whatever between two points, or to lay down the proposition that
nothing whatever shall be true without exception. For though what this means
involves no contradiction it is in contradiction with the fact that it is
itself asserted.

3.     An axiom is a self-evident truth, the statement of which is superfluous
to the conclusiveness of the reasoning, and which only serves to show a
principle involved in the reasoning. It is generally a truth of observation,
such as the assertion that something is true.

4.     A diagram is an icon or schematic image embodying the meaning of a
general predicate; and from the observation of this icon we are supposed to
construct a new general predicate [CP 2.219-26; NEM 2.7].

John S has suggested that the first common notion concerning the character of
the sheet of assertion is the only axiom in the system. In common parlance, we
sometimes use the word “axiom” to refer to any sort of starting point for
mathematical deduction. Peirce points out that this loose way of speaking can
be misleading. It wasn’t clear to me whether John was using “axiom” in the
broader or the stricter sense.
Does the first common notion fit the following criteria?

a)     it is a self-evident truth;

b)    the statement of the axiom is superfluous to the conclusiveness of the
reasoning;

c)     it only serves to show a principle involved in the reasoning;

d)    it is generally a truth of observation, such as the assertion that
something is true;

e)     drawing on the Century Dictionary definition, we could add that an axiom
is a matter of common knowledge—such as an item of knowledge drawn from another
area of mathematics that is, relatively speaking, beyond doubt.
Let us ask the same question about the other common notions. If any do not fit
these criteria for a common notion, then are they definitions or postulates?
Yours,
Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor