Thanks, Jon!

OK, the passages speak for themselves.

Of course, the qualified phrase, ‘… of the nature of…’ leaves the meaning vague.

My feeling is that CSP’s remarks are now out of date in the sense that many
forms of mathematical reasoning are used in different structural forms - sets,
groups, rings, vector spaces etc. with different modes of reasoning, even about
addition and multiplication.

Just the consequences of further inquiry…

Cheers
Jerry