Jerry C., List:

Here is the first passage that comes to my mind, probably because it was
the key text for my articles on "The Logic of Ingenuity."

CSP:  Of late decades philosophical mathematicians have come to a pretty
just understanding of the nature of their own pursuit. I do not know that
anybody struck the true note before Benjamin Peirce, who, in 1870, declared
mathematics to be "the science which draws necessary conclusions," adding
that it must be defined "subjectively" and not "objectively." A view
substantially in accord with his, though needlessly complicated, is given
in the article "Mathematics," in the ninth edition of the *Encyclopaedia
Britannica*. The author, Professor George Chrystal, holds that the essence
of mathematics lies in its making pure hypotheses, and in the character of
the hypotheses which it makes. What the mathematicians mean by a
"hypothesis" is a proposition imagined to be strictly true of an ideal
state of things. *In this sense, it is only about hypotheses that necessary
reasoning has any application; for, in regard to the real world, we have no
right to presume that any given intelligible proposition is true in
absolute strictness.* On the other hand, probable reasoning deals with the
ordinary course of experience; now, nothing like *a course of experience*
exists for ideal hypotheses. *Hence to say that mathematics busies itself
in drawing necessary conclusions, and to say that it busies itself with
hypotheses, are two statements which the logician perceives come to the
same thing* ... Now the mathematician does not conceive it to be any part
of his duty to verify the facts stated. He accepts them absolutely without
question. He does not in the least care whether they are correct or not ...
Thus, the mathematician does two very different things: namely, he first
frames a pure hypothesis stripped of all features which do not concern the
drawing of consequences from it, and this he does without inquiring or
caring whether it agrees with the actual facts or not; and, secondly, he
proceeds to draw necessary consequences from that hypothesis. (CP
3.558-559, 1898; italics in original, bold  added)

I suspect that if Peirce had written this paragraph a few years later, when
he was being more careful about distinguishing existence and reality, he
would have substituted something like "existing world" or "actual world"
for "real world."  Here is another relevant passage.

CSP:  Now all necessary reasoning, whether it be good or bad, is of the
nature of mathematical reasoning ... all necessary reasoning, be it the
merest verbiage of the theologians, so far as there is any semblance of
necessity in it, is mathematical reasoning. (CP 5.147-148, EP 2:206, 1903)

Peirce essentially *defined* the mathematical realm as encompassing all
circumstances in which necessary reasoning can be done.