I agree with Stephen, to a large degree, though he states it stronger than I
might.

I have written extensively on the absence of instincts. Two book-length studies:

https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Matter-Mind-Articulated-Unconscious/dp/022607076X/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1512918473&sr=8-5&keywords=daniel+everett

https://www.amazon.com/Language-Cultural-Daniel-L-Everett/dp/0307473805/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1512918473&sr=8-4&keywords=daniel+everett

There is also this very good book by Marc Blumberg:

https://www.amazon.com/Basic-Instinct-Behavior-Mark-Blumberg/dp/1560256591/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1512918543&sr=1-1&keywords=basic+instinct+blumberg

My book in progress on Peirce’s epistemology for Oxford U Press, deals with the
concept of “instinct” in Peirce and other earlier writers (e.g. Hume). Though
sometimes their ideas of instinct overlapped slightly with what many
contemporary nativists believe, in general their use of the term is quite
different.

Dan

On Dec 10, 2017, at 10:05 AM, Stephen Jarosek