Stephen - the problem I have with your hypothesis is that you
haven't explained what 'know how to be' involves. How does it exist?
Where? How does it evolve? It seems to be a synonym for 'instinct'!

        What is a 'mind-body' predisposition?

        Edwina
 On Sun 10/12/17 10:05 AM , "Stephen Jarosek" sjaro...@iinet.net.au
sent:
        List, in the interests of the universality of semiosis, it would be
helpful, I believe, to do away entirely with the notion of instinct.
No such thing. ALL organism's are decision-makers, making choices
from their ecosystems. What one might typically categorize as
instinct, in other animals, is nothing other than a reduced horizon
of options (analogous to a goldfish living inside a small bowl
instead of a wide ocean). ALL organisms have to "know how to be." A
fish behaves exactly as I would behave if my body were that of a
fish. Or, putting it another way… a man behaves as a woman would
behave if her body were that of a man.
 And once we do away with this notion of instinct as a preprogrammed
blueprint for behavior, so too we might extend the same reasoning to
atoms and molecules. That is, the mechanics of chemical bonds and
subatomic forces are not what "determine" atomic and molecular
properties (behavior). Rather, atoms and molecules must also "know
how to be", in accordance with their own mind-body predispositions...
that's why semiosis is relevant also to quantum mechanics, imho... and
nonlocality (entanglement) is integral to enabling semiosis to take
place at that level. The mechanics of chemical bonds and subatomic
forces are the  product of semiosis, and not its cause. Hence the
motivation behind my previously-referenced article, Quantum Semiotics
[1].
 While we are discussing the role of mind-body predispositions in
semiosis and pragmatism... I am reminded of Simon and Garfunkel's El
Condor Pasa. In its original form, it was a Peruvian folk song about
a group of Andean miners who were exploited by their boss. The condor
(condor mind-body) looks from the sky, at the human mind-bodies
toiling away in the mines, and it becomes the symbol of freedom for
the miners to achieve:
 I'd rather be a sparrow than a snail
 Yes, I would; If I could; I surely would
 I'd rather be a hammer than a nail
 Yes, I would; If I only could; I surely would
 Away, I'd rather sail away
 Like a swan that's here and gone
 A man gets tied up to the ground
 He gives the world its saddest sound
 It's saddest sound
 I'd rather be a forest than a street
 Yes, I would; If I could; I surely would
 I'd rather feel the earth beneath my feet
 Yes, I would; If I only could; I surely would
 Regards