Gary F, list

        I guess we'll just continue to disagree.

        I don't consider that I've given a 'very free translation'  of
1.346-7 which sounds rather denigrating of my view. I wasn't
translating at all, but reading and understanding it. You read and
understand it differently. I'm certainly not going to say that YOU
provide a 'very free translation'. Instead - you offer a different
interpretation. OK?

        Peirce himself says that 'genuine triadic relations can never be
built of dyadic relations'..and refers to a 'spot with one tail, a
spot with two tails'....[i.e., he does use the term 'spot'] and
writes: 'You may think that a node connecting three lines of identity
Y is not a triadic idea. But analysis will show that it is so". 1.346.

        And that 'Y'  which is in that sentence - is definitely that three
-spoked image.  Further in that same section, as you also write,  he
refers to the syllogistic triad .."There is a recognition of triadic
identity but it is only brought about as a conclusion from two
premises, which is itself a triadic relation".  [Major premise, minor
premise, conclusion]. BUT - I consider that a syllogism is ONE Sign, a
semiosic triad. It is an Argument - and is made up of three Relations
in a mode of Thirdness.  You would disagree.

        So- I consider that Peirce was quite clear about the spoked image of
the semiosic triad.

        Therefore - all that can be said is that you and I have a clear
disagreement on this issue. We can each present our views - and
that's that.

        Edwina
 On Tue 12/12/17  7:56 PM , g...@gnusystems.ca sent:
        Mary, Edwina, Gary R, list,
         Getting back to Mary’s question, I dug out my copy of The Meaning
of Meaning, and found no triangle diagram in it; the brief summary of
Peirce’s work in the Appendix contains no diagram at all. So I
don’t know where that diagram started its career, except that it
wasn’t with Peirce. But then the three-spoke diagram of the
“semiosic triad” (as Edwina calls it) didn’t start with Peirce
either. Edwina’s given us a very free translation of what Peirce
says in Lowell 3.4 (aka CP 1.347), and I’d like to direct attention
back to what Peirce actually said (included below, diagrams and all).
        Peirce does give a little diagram of “a node connecting three
lines of identity”:   . This is what he elsewhere calls a “point
of teridentity,” which is entirely different from a “spot with
three tails” (it’s not a spot at all). He uses both diagrams, in
different ways, to prove (or rather “sketch a proof” of) the
irreducibility of Thirdness, which he refers to here as
“Meaning,” which “is obviously a triadic relation.” (At
least, that should be obvious to any student of the logic of
relations.)
        To establish the truth of his first premiss, “that every genuine
triadic relation involves meaning, ” he asks us to take “any fact
in physics of the triadic kind.” It’s clear enough that “Three
things, east, west, and up, are required to define the difference
between right and left”; but his reference to the chemistry of
“active substances” is not very clear, at least to me. Maybe some
of the chemists on the list can comment on that. The relation of
“giving,” which he also uses elsewhere as an exemplary triadic
relation, would be represented by a “spot with three tails,”
because “giving” is a triadic  rheme, a predicate which requires
three subjects.
        But it’s the “other premiss of the argument” — “that
genuine triadic relations can never be built of dyadic relations and
of Qualities” — that Peirce elects to illustrate with Existential
Graphs, and in two different ways. First, you can’t make a triadic
rheme by joining the tails of two (or more) dyadic spots; that would
just give you two dyadic rhemes (or a chain of them, which is still
dyadic.
        Second, you do have a triadic relation if three lines of identity
are joined at a spot of teridentity. This is what would occur in the
transformations of a sequence of beta graphs that would diagram the
series of events Peirce narrates, leading to the conclusion: “On
Wednesday I see a man and I say, “That is the same man I saw on
Tuesday, and consequently is the same I saw on Monday. There is a
recognition of triadic identity; but it is only brought about as a
conclusion from two premisses, which is itself a triadic relation.”
The key word that makes this a triadic relation is “consequently”;
the whole sequence is an  argument, or inference, which is
unquestionably triadic. And of course an argument is a sign — a
sign which cannot be fully represented by a single existential graph,
but only by a sequence of them. Semiosis takes time.
         Then, as an “interesting” afterthought, Peirce adds that while
no “complexus of dyadic relations” (as he put it in the Syllabus)
can constitute a genuine triadic relation, a complexus of triadic
relations can give you any higher -adicity — the point being,
again, that Thirdness is an irreducible element but there is no
irreducible Fourthness.

         This brings us back to Phenomenology, with perhaps a deeper
understanding of its mathematical aspect.
        As for semiotics, there is no diagram here of the triad
object-sign-interpretant. If someone can point to such a diagram
anywhere  in Peirce’s writings (either triangular or three-spoked),
I will thank them profusely, for refuting my claim that neither of
those diagramming habits started with Peirce.
        Gary f.