List,

Peirce’s recursive application of the categories seems to reach a climax
with the Firstness of Thirdness here, as he tells us that the “slight
glimpse” into phenomenology given so far in this lecture is intended “merely
to lead up to Thirdness and to the particular kind and aspect of thirdness
which is the sole object of logical study.”

But before we plunge into that, I’d like to point out a couple of questions
raised by Peirce’s reference here to the term “reference.” Summarizing his
previous remarks, he says that “genuine Secondness was found to be Action,
where First and Second are both true Seconds and the Secondness is something
distinct from them, while in Degenerate Secondness, or mere Reference, the
First is a mere First never attaining full Secondness.” He did not use the
term “reference” earlier in this lecture, but he did use it in the part of
the 1903 Syllabus devoted to dyadic relations, CP 3.572: “The broadest
division of dyadic relations is into those which can only subsist between
two subjects of different categories of being (as between an existing
individual and a quality) and those which can subsist between two subjects
of the same category. A relation of the former kind may advantageously be
termed a reference; a relation of the latter kind, a dyadic relation
proper.”

This seems consistent with the identification of “Reference” as “Degenerate
Secondness” — but what is “advantageous” about using the term “reference” in
this way? And how is this specialized usage related to the ordinary usage of
the common noun “reference” rooted in the verb “refer”? For instance, when I
type the term “cat” to refer to the cat who is curled up on the sofa nearby,
is there a dyadic relation between cat and word which is an instance of
Degenerate Secondness? Spike the cat (to give him his proper name) is
certainly an “existing individual,” and thus a Second, but does the common
noun belong to a different “category of being,” a First which “is a mere
First”? This may seem a trivial question, but it is definitely a semiotic
question, because a word is definitely a sign. Now, semiosis is all about
triadic relations; so what we are looking into here is the role of
degenerate Secondness in triadic relations. I approached this topic several
years ago in Chapter 7 of Turning Signs,
http://gnusystems.ca/TS/xpt.htm#tention, and though I still have my doubts
about it, I haven’t come up with any improvements. Regarding a sign, even a
symbol like “cat,” as a “First” is not really a problem in the light of
Peirce’s definition of the sign in the Syllabus (EP2:290-91) as “First
Correlate of a triadic relation.” But I’d like to know what other Peirceans
think on this issue.

There’s also a connection here with Peirce’s ‘epiphany’ about existential