Gary R, I think that’s a good exposition of the “reference” issues, including
some aspects of the matter that I hadn’t thought of.

This is heartening because I find it difficult to write about these
‘categorial’ issues as they are presented in Lowell 3 — difficult because they
take us back to the very basics of experience itself, or to the elements of the
phenomenon, which is the other side of the same coin. The deeper we probe into
this, the more vast the implications and the applications, and the harder it is
to illustrate the conceptions with concrete examples, because any example that
comes to mind (like Spike the cat) brings irrelevant or misleading associations
along with it. Also, if the writer thinks about the reader’s response, he’s apt
to say (as Peirce did earlier in Lowell 3), “It must be extremely difficult for
those who are untrained to such analyses of conceptions to make any sense of
all this.” But then other readers (on a list like this one) are likely to feel
that they’ve heard it all before and want to skip ahead. Hence the writer’s
despair. But I might as well stumble on regardless.

Before probing further into Lowell 3.11, and specifically CP 1.536, I’d like to
requote this bit from earlier in Lowell 3:

[[ The secondness of the Second, whichever of the two objects be called the
Second, is different from the Secondness of the first. That is to say it
generally is so. To kill and to be killed are different. In case there is one
of the two which there is good reason for calling the First, while the other
remains the Second, it is that the Secondness is more accidental to the former
than to the latter; that there is more or less approach to a state of things in
which something, which is itself First, accidentally comes into a Secondness
that does not really modify its Firstness, while its Second in this Secondness
is something whose being is of the nature of Secondness and which has no
Firstness separate from this.… The extreme kind of Secondness which I have just
described is the relation of a quality to the matter in which that quality
inheres. The mode of being of the quality is that of Firstness. That is to say,
it is a possibility. It is related to the matter accidentally; and this
relation does not change the quality at all, except that it imparts existence,
that is to say, this very relation of inherence, to it. But the matter, on the
other hand, has no being at all except the being a subject of qualities. This
relation of really having qualities constitutes its existence. But if all its
qualities were to be taken away, and it were to be left quality-less matter, it
not only would not exist, but it would not have any positive definite
possibility — such as an unembodied quality has. It would be nothing, at all.]
(CP 1.527)]

Now, the very word “matter” has common associations that would make this line
of thinking hard to follow. We are often inclined to think of “matter” as
physical stuff, like the clay which an artisan or artist might shape into a
bowl or a sculpture, or like the clay that God shaped into Adam in one of the
Genesis stories. But clay already has qualities that make it clay. Can we
imagine “quality-less matter” at all? Or an “unembodied quality”? If not, we
can’t imagine a pure First or a pure Second either. Neither one could exist (as
clay can exist) because  existence is the “very relation of inherence” of
qualities in matter. So thinking of the quality as First and the matter as
Second, we can say that the quality determines the matter to its existence.

This is different from another kind of determination which is involved in a
triadic relation. Peirce explains the difference in CP 1.536:

[[ We have here a First, a Second, and a Third. The first is a Positive
Qualitative Possibility, in itself nothing more. The Second is an Existent
thing without any mode of being less than existence, but determined by that
First. A Third has a mode of being which consists in the Secondnesses that it
determines, the mode of being of a Law, or Concept. Do not confound this with
the ideal being of a quality in itself. A quality is something capable of being
completely embodied. A Law never can be embodied in its character as a law
except by determining a habit. A quality is how something may or might have
been. A law is how an endless future must continue to be. ]]

If I read this right, Peirce is saying here that a First can determine a Second
by being embodied here and now, and thus being accidentally involved in a
Secondness while retaining its essential Firstness as a possibility; but a
Third can attain or retain its essential Thirdness only by continuously
determining Secondnesses, whenever the situation arises that makes this
possible.

For me, this has an important bearing on the discussion we were having last
year on the list about the “order of determination” in semiosis. Also on the
question Stephen Rose asked the other day about what Peirce means by
“continuity.” Of course, whole books have been and are being written on that
subject, so I didn’t (and still don’t) have the nerve to say anything more
about it here. But let’s go on the genuine Thirdness:

[[ Now in Genuine Thirdness, the First, the Second, and the Third are all three
of the nature of thirds, or Thought, while in respect to one another they are
First, Second, and Third. The First is Thought in its capacity as mere
Possibility; that is, mere Mind capable of thinking, or a mere vague idea. The
Second is Thought playing the rôle of a Secondness, or Event. That is, it is of
the general nature of Experience or Information. The Third is Thought in its
rôle as governing Secondness. It brings the Information into the Mind, or
determines the Idea and gives it body. It is informing thought, or Cognition.
But take away the psychological or accidental human element, and in this
genuine Thirdness we see the operation of a Sign. ] CP 1.537 ]

That last sentence takes us to the crux of the challenge of Peircean semiotics
and Peircean phenomenology: Experience is our only teacher in science, as he
says elsewhere, and all of our experience is human experience — yet we are
tasked to “take away the psychological or accidental human element” from our
comprehension of the elements of the phenomenon, and specifically of semiosic
phenomena. Nominalists and others will say it can’t be done; Peirce says “Why
not?”

And that’s where I’ll have to leave it for today, though I don’t suppose I’ve
made a dent in the “endless future”  of this inquiry.

Gary f.