From: Jeffrey Brian Downard [mailto:jeffrey.down...@nau.edu]
Sent: 9-Jan-18 12:22
To: peirce-l@list.iupui.edu <mailto:peirce-l@list.iupui.edu>
Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Lowell Lecture 3.11

Gary F., List,

Let me respond to one of the major points you've raised. You say:

"This is an interesting sidelight on the concept of degeneracy as it applies
to triadic relations, and to semiosis. In the "Logic of Mathematics" (I
assume you mean the c.1896 one, subtitled "An Attempt to Develop My
Categories From Within"), according to your outline, some triadic relations
are more "thoroughly" genuine than others, and your outline seems to be
consistent with Lowell 3.11. But there are ambiguities lurking in your last
sentence, which says that "thoroughly genuine triadic relations can be
distinguished from triadic relations that are not thoroughly genuine on the
grounds that the latter [i.e. those not thoroughly genuine] take qualities,
objects and/or facts as the first and second correlates--and not thoughts of
those things."

Lowell 3.11 says that  in genuine Thirdness "Thought" can take all three
categorial roles (as "mere Idea," as event and as "governing" events). But
if we regard the "thought of a thing" as a reference to it, and consider
"mere reference" to be a degenerate Secondness as in CP 1.535, then we'd be
saying that genuine Thirdness must involve degenerate Secondness, which
doesn't seem right. This is the kind of thing that makes it hard to judge
whether Peirce's texts are consistent with each other or not - or whether we
know what he's talking about or not, when he uses terms like "Thought."

As far as I can tell, Peirce often uses the word "reference" in a very broad
way. Having said that, I don't see a problem in saying that a genuine
thirdness might involve a degenerate secondness. That is, I don't see any
problem in saying, for example, that a symbolic argument involves a "mere
reference" (e.g., the reference of an iconic, rhematic, qualisign to its
ground) as a type of modal  dyadic relation. After all, from early on in the
lectures leading up to the "New List", Peirce is keen to point out that
symbolic arguments involve a triple reference to (1) ground, (2) object and
(3) interpretant.

For my part, I don't believe that Peirce later rejects this key insight
(e.g., as Cathy Legg and Bill McCurdy have suggested to me in conversation).
When it comes to the triple reference that is part and parcel of a symbolic
argument, I think that only the first of the three relations is a "mere
reference," because it is the only relation of the three that is based on a
representation in the interpretant (i.e., the conclusion of the argument) of
the rhematic qualisigns in the propositions that form the premisses standing
in relations of similarity to the object.

In fact, this very relation of "mere reference" is essential to the validity
of some arguments--especially those that are abductive in form. The reason
is that these argument rely heavily on the interpreter noting relations of
similarity between the qualities that are represented in the predicates that
are expressed in the premisses and conclusion of this type of argument.

These last rather compressed suggestions are expressed in an attempt to
indicate that I take the detailed points Peirce to be making about the kinds
of relations that are involved in semiotic processes are not minor--even if
I don't understand them very well just yet. Rather, I take them to be
central for his explanations of what is essential for the validity of
different kinds of arguments, and I'm trying to get a clearer grasp of why
these points about the different kinds of relations that are involved are
essential parts of the explanations.

--Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor
Department of Philosophy
Northern Arizona University
(o) 928 523-8354

  _____

This is an interesting sidelight on the concept of degeneracy as it applies
to triadic relations, and to semiosis. In the "Logic of Mathematics" (I
assume you mean the c.1896 one, subtitled "An Attempt to Develop My
Categories From Within"), according to your outline, some triadic relations
are more "thoroughly" genuine than others, and your outline seems to be
consistent with Lowell 3.11. But there are ambiguities lurking in your last
sentence, which says that "thoroughly genuine triadic relations can be
distinguished from triadic relations that are not thoroughly genuine on the
grounds that the latter [i.e. those not thoughly genuine] take qualities,
objects and/or facts as the first and second correlates--and not thoughts of
those things."

Lowell 3.11 says that  in genuine Thirdness "Thought" can take all three
categorial roles (as "mere Idea," as event and as "governing" events). But
if we regard the "thought of a thing" as a reference to it, and consider
"mere reference" to be a degenerate Secondness as in CP 1.535, then we'd be
saying that genuine Thirdness must involve degenerate Secondness, which
doesn't seem right. This is the kind of thing that makes it hard to judge
whether Peirce's texts are consistent with each other or not - or whether we
know what he's talking about or not, when he uses terms like "Thought."

Another sidelight comes up in this bit from Turning Signs which quotes the
Syllabus. (I've been reading "Sundry Logical Conceptions" in parallel with
Lowell 3, hoping that they explain each other to some degree.) Here it is:

[[ According to  <http://gnusystems.ca/TS/xpt.htm#tention> Chapter 7, a
genuine symbol is one which actively and experientially connects an idea (or
First) with some thing, event or fact (or Second), so that its Interpretant
inhabits a more well-informed system. Peirce sometimes says that the symbol,
'defined as a sign which is fit to serve as such simply because it will be
so interpreted' (EP2:307), is the 'genuine sign,' while the index is
'degenerate' and the icon doubly so (EP2:306). But he also sometimes
distinguishes between genuine and degenerate symbols. In any case, the
information conveyed by a symbol depends on the involvement of both icons
and index in it.

A Symbol is a law, or regularity of the indefinite future. Its Interpretant
must be of the same description; and so must be also the complete immediate
Object, or meaning. But a law necessarily governs, or "is embodied in"
individuals, and prescribes some of their qualities. Consequently, a
constituent of a Symbol may be an Index, and a constituent may be an Icon. A
man walking with a child points his arm up into the air and says, "There is
a balloon." The pointing arm is an essential part of the Symbol without
which the latter would convey no information. But if the child asks, "What
is a balloon," and the man replies, "It is something like a great big soap
bubble," he makes the image a part of the Symbol. Thus, while the complete
Object of a Symbol, that is to say, its meaning, is of the nature of a law,
it must denote an individual, and must signify a character. A genuine Symbol
is a Symbol that has a general meaning. There are two kinds of degenerate
Symbols, the Singular Symbol whose Object is an existent individual, and
which signifies only such characters as that individual may realize; and the
Abstract Symbol, whose only Object is a character. - Peirce (EP2:274-5) ]]

In these matters of genuineness and degeneracy, so far I haven't seen a good
reason to abandon my belief that Peirce is consistent with himself (unless
he himself says otherwise) and that my glosses on Peirce, like those I'm
posting here, are consistent with Peirce. But I also continue to believe in
Peirce's fallibility, and even more strongly in my own fallibility. For
instance, I'm not sure what to make of Peirce's saying here that the "Object
of a Symbol" is "its meaning," since I'd be more likely to say that its
Interpretant is its meaning. But I'm posting all this in the hope of further
clarification of the nature of semiosis - and not as mere exegesis of
Peirce.

Gary f.